Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation problem    

translation problem

Helen McK
Ireland

I can confirm that the word �huel� doesn�t exist in Gaelic.  It doesn�t even sound Irish. Smile  The word for Christmas in Gaelic is Nollaig.

I find it hilarious that an Irish person can confuse people so much with his use of English.  It wouldn�t be the first time though.  We have great fun in my classes trying to figure out Hiberno English i.e. English as it�s spoken by the Irish.

I�m with Liberty Belle on this one.  I�m nearly certain he meant Yule or Yuletide.  People do sometimes say "Have a cool yule!"

25 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

�Huel� exists in Breton Gaelic but isn�t contextually the right word here - it means noble or proud & is . I would also be very surprised to see an Irish Gael using Breton Gaelic!

If your interested in Gaelic, this link is a very useful resource!

Did you know that �Yule� is Germanic/Scandinavian in origin?

Happy Yule to you all!

26 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Many of the gaelic languages are very similar, Breton Gaelic and Welsh for example.

I think it�s a typo either "juel" "yuel" both mispelt but the "j" and "h" and next to the "h"

29 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2