Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Standard (?) size paper    

Standard (?) size paper

SueThom
United States

Standard (?) size paper

I�m from the US where the standard size paper for printers, etc. is 8.5 x 11.5 inches and that�s what I�ve designed all my printables to fit on.  I�m in Madrid, Spain for the holidays (my first time in Europe!) and happened to notice that all the printed handouts I received are on paper that is slightly longer and narrower than my paper.  I�m assuming this is the standard size here.  But "here" as in Spain?  Europe?  Anywhere outside of the US?  What is the standard size--if there is such a thing--for most of the members of this website?

So, my main question is:  In the future, should I alter the design of the printables I upload on this site to fit a different size paper to make it easier for most of the rest of you?

Sue

25 Dec 2008      

cheezels
New Zealand

I just checked in word 2007 for paper size and an A4 sheet is 210 X 297 mm so 21cm X 29.7 cm. It didn�t give me the inches sorry! So I don�t know offhand how your size compares to the regular A4 size in word...
That is for the paper size used. The amount that shows on a page though can be affected by wide margins or narrow margins too.

:-)

25 Dec 2008     

SueThom
United States

Thank you, Cheezels.  That was enough information to help me do some looking around and according to the website listed below, the US standard is apparently "letter" size paper.  Can you tell me if "A4" is standard in New Zealand, the UK, and/or Sweden?

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/office/paper.htm

mm               inches
A4          210 x   297        8.3 x 11.7
Letter     216 x   280        8.5 x  11.0

25 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have no idea... I have always used the A4 size option in word no matter where I have been in any country on any computer.... :-)

25 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Wikipedia have a great entry on paper sizes right here. There are details on the different international standard sizes too. It�s very interesting to look through. I hadn�t realized (until coming to Japan) there are so many different standards around the world.

You will find A4 in extensive use in Japan - at schools, for example, but legal & traditional paper sizes are not A4.

Best of the season to you all!
B-)

26 Dec 2008