Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SPELLING GAMES    

SPELLING GAMES

lovinglondon
Spain

SPELLING GAMES

Hi there!!
I hope you are having a nice Sunday!!
Do you know any game or activity I can do with my students to practise spelling?? I know the one about writing a word with the finger on a classmate �s back and the classmate must spell the word, but I want to know more games because I would like to make a kind of competition with them.
THANK YOU!!!!

16 Oct 2011      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

You can also write the letters of the word on the plastic bottle caps. Choose as many children as the number of the letters in the word is. Let the children stand in the row in random and spell the letter each one was given again and again until someone in the class guesses which word they spell.

16 Oct 2011     

class centre
Belarus

Spellathon :
A word is written on the board. A student is sitting back to the board. The class does see the word, the st doesn �t. So, the teacher pronounces the word, the st spells it letter by letter, the teacher writes down exactly what the st says. Then the st turns back and sees whether  he is right or not. If he is mistaken, he is out. The game continues till one winner is left. My sts adore it.
Good luck!

16 Oct 2011     

Emy Lee
Canada

Something that works great for me is something I call the Spelling Chain.

All students stand up. The teacher says a word out loud, and students have to spell it all together, but saying only one letter each. For exmaple, if we spell the word chair, a first student says the letter c, the girl behind him or her says the letter h, and so on until the whole word is fully spelled.

When a student gets one letter wrong, he or she sits down until only one student remains.

Hope you have fun ^^

16 Oct 2011     

lovinglondon
Spain

thank you!!!!

16 Oct 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

I play a version of Emy �s spelling chain game, but with the students at the front of the room in teams of 5 or 6. They line up facing the board. 

Team 1 are given a word (eg: secretary). They try to spell the word a letter each at a time. When it reaches the back of the line, pass it forward to the front again. 

If they get it right, it �s 5 points. If they get it wrong, the same word passes to team 2 who can attempt it for 4 points. If they fail, team 3 can try it for 3 points and so on ...

Hope that �s an easy to follow explanation.

Brian

16 Oct 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

I play a version of Emy �s spelling chain game, but with the students at the front of the room in teams of 5 or 6. They line up facing the board. 

Team 1 are given a word (eg: secretary). They try to spell the word a letter each at a time. When it reaches the back of the line, pass it forward to the front again. 

If they get it right, it �s 5 points. If they get it wrong, the same word passes to team 2 who can attempt it for 4 points. If they fail, team 3 can try it for 3 points and so on ...

Brian

16 Oct 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Brian

16 Oct 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Brian

16 Oct 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

Brian

16 Oct 2011     

orly100
Israel

You can use some websites to play online games.

16 Oct 2011