Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference between PANTS - TROUSERS and COAT - JACKET    

Difference between PANTS - TROUSERS and COAT - JACKET

Jen214
Vietnam

Difference between PANTS - TROUSERS and COAT - JACKET

Dear friends,
I have the problem with two couple words "PANTS-TROUSERS" and "COAT-JACKET"...Anyone can help me distinguishthese words please...I need to be clear before teaching my students today... Thank a lot :)

18 Oct 2011      

douglas
United States

Pants and trousers are the same thing.  "Pants" is more often used in the USA and "trousers" in the UK.
Coat vs jacket is a luittle different--generally a coat is longer (and often heavier) than a jacket, but thta tis often discussed--see the link below.

Douglas

Edit--here is something else from a forum on the web:

coat - a long (past around hip level) top garment
jacket - a short (above around hip level) top garment and also the top half of a suit.

18 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

Douglas is correct, might I add that "pants" in the UK normally refers to "underpants". Also, in Canada, we tend (I say tend but it �s not a norm and not everybody does it) to use pants for women and trousers for men.

18 Oct 2011     

libertybelle
United States

And to add to the confusion:

Underpants are also called knickers in the UK
Knickers in the US are pants that go the knees.

You can wear a coat over a jacket but not a jacket over a coat.
A woolen jacket is also called a blazer.
Jackets are short - and can be worn indoors - but you don �t often wear a coat
indoors - it is an outer garment!
Not all coats are long.

Trousers, in the US are like slacks and have a crease or pleated edge going down the front.
Pants are more informal - like jeans or chinos.
I think all pants are called trousers in the UK. (not completely sure about this)

18 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

Yes, I think you are right Lisa all "pants" are basically called trousers in the UK. I was on Marks and Spencers web page a few days ago and I saw that in the Ladies section of the page, the "pants" were called "trousers."

19 Oct 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

We tend to say "pants" for "underpants" in the UK which explains why we tend to smile and look all smug when Americans refer to the colour of people �s pants. We also use pants when something isn �t very good.

e.g. "How was the film?"
"It was pants!"

Although it is highly colloquial. A bit like saying "something sucks."

19 Oct 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

When I was a classroom teacher in the UK I got paint all over my "pants" and said "oh no I have paint all over my pants",
There was a lot of suppressed giggling from my younger students.
At the time I had no idea that they thought I was referring to my underwear!

19 Oct 2011     

yanogator
United States

A jacket can also be an outer garment, like a coat, but usually shorter and lighter.

Bruce

19 Oct 2011