Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > boring classes    

boring classes

grimsim
France

boring classes

Hi everybody!
Some of our students are demotivated only because lessons are not relevant to them. What lessons do your students find uninteresting and how do you overcome that?
Thanks

19 Oct 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

My ss love videos:) and by this I don �t mean movies, but rather short esl videos which of course have to be preceded by, accompanied with and followed by activities, which also have to be logically connected with the topic of your lesson and with other activities you do during the lesson. They seem to be quite interested in creating dialogues (based on models) and acting them out as well.
You can also find some tips here:

Sophia

19 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

The students are bored when they don �t understand why they are studying a subject, whatever it is.

Try to make links between the different subjects : for example it is useful to study English due to the important role of Great Britain and the English language in diplomacy around the world when this country was the Master of the seas.

Try to show the interaction of the different languages showing the common roots between your mother tongue and English.

Try to make the students participate actively to the lesson. For example ask them to prepare a short "lesson" about a grammar point you want to revise. Generally the "teacher" will be very proud and the others more attentive.

Tell them that learning languages is like traveling : when you are able to speak a language you are able to understand the customs of the country in which this language is spoken. When it is a "Latin" language (Italian, Spanish, French...) there are a lot of images in the speaking way whereas "Saxon" languages are more pragmatical, chronological and the speaking way is straighter to the goal : you understand a lot of details with less words. Eastern languages are more creative then Western ones.

Try to make them find texts with which they would like to study.

Invent characters. For one of my students (I give particular lessons) I have invented "Auxiliarus" to personify the auxiliary. We even draw it. That way it was easier for my student to place the words in a sentence.

Well, I confess I try to adapt my teaching to each student and that with only 1 student it is easier. But with a group always use the strength of THE LEADER of this group. If the leader approves your lesson the others will follow.

Hope this may help.

19 Oct 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with maryse that it is important that students see the point of studying something. The material should be relevant to them. It has never occured to me, I must admit, that my students want to study English because Britain was once �master of the seas �. I find they want to study English since it enables them to understand computer games and contemporary music, popular culture and people from other countries. (I teach kids in a class setting)
I try to show them how English opens up their world. From BBC videos on the hippopotamus when teaching present simple, to  the Biography of Bruno Mars, from Wikipedea entries (it has simple English as an option!!!) on subjects of interest, to little videos on how New year is celebrated in different countries aound the world.
I often ask my students what they find interesting and 80 % of the songs I do in class are songs they suggest themselves....

20 Oct 2011     

anuska8
Spain

My students are bored with Science topics. For example, now they �re studying five senses topic and there are lots of concepts that don �t understand in Spanish (then in English is much more difficult to them). I try to do geastures and show them flashcards or pictures in order to motivate them. Too much grammar is not productive in those cases. 
In the end, it �s useful ask them about their favourite activities. If they like what they do their learning is easier. 

28 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Make them speak about animals � capacities and compare them with human ones.

A dog can smell much more than a human. Why ?
Let �s them make hypothesis, then explain them why it is possible for animals and not for human beings.
Ask them the most possible animals with the same capacity.

Then change the sense.

Dealing the senses one by one with maybe some short videos may help to wake up some more interest.

Ask them to carefully observe their pets and to notice these observations to tell their friends. Make them compare their notes.

28 Oct 2011