Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help please    

help please

sasuna
Algeria

help please

hello ,
Could you please help me with this lesson: It  is about the weak and strong forms of would you...? and do you...?
This is the rule in our coursebook here in Algeria: We generally use the weak form of would yo...? and do you...? in questions when we speak very quicKly.
This rule doesn �t satisfy  me and also I can �t teach things which I don �t understand.
Please if YOU HAVE AN EXPLANATION LET ME KNOW IT AND THANKS IN ADVANCE

24 Oct 2011      

nourelhouda1
Tunisia

hi ,
Could you please make it clearer ; what do you mean by �weak � and �strong � forms ; do you mean the �short � and � long forms � wouldn �t or don �t and doesn �t ?

Cheers

24 Oct 2011     

sasuna
Algeria

It is a phonetics lesson not a grammar one.

24 Oct 2011     

chalii
Pakistan

hi sasuna,

infect in weak form the last sounds assimilate in some conditions so they give different sound instead of their actual sounds.

in would you   /d/ and /j/ makes /dʒ/ sound 

/d/ +/j/ =/
 so that is becomes weak form of would you. the same rule apply on " did you".

hope uyou will get the reason.
love

24 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_form_and_strong_form
Weak means pronounced like an unstressed syllable which can only happen in spoken language. E. g. Would you like me to bring you a chair? If you draw an intonation pattern for this question, you �ll see that the first two words are not stressed, so they are therefore pronounced like unstressed syllables of one word - wudjulaikmi... 
Whereas strong form is stressed.  
Sophia

24 Oct 2011     

sasuna
Algeria

thank you dear colleagues for your help

25 Oct 2011