Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > possessive īs and vocabulary question    

possessive īs and vocabulary question

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

possessive īs and vocabulary question

Hi everyone,

Today one of my adult students wrote the following sentence in a composition about their last holiday: "All my family went to Laredo īs beach that day." Laredo is the name of a Spanish city. I immediately told her that she should say "Laredo beach" instead. She answered that last year īs teacher told them it was ok to use possessive    īs when talking about places. I have come back home and checked Michael Swam īs "English Grammar Usage" reference book and the explanation is rather confusing or unclear about the contexts which we should use possessive  īs in. Was I right when correcting my student īs composition or wrong? I have always taught that possessive  īs is used with living beings and periods of time as well. All the same, I don īt have a clear idea about when to use noun + noun structure.

On the other hand, I would like to ask you whether there is any word to call, in an unrespectful way, to a maid or housekeeper. Besides, what īs the name given to the person who while doing a course / after having finished his studies works for a period of time for a company (most of the times without being paid any salary, or getting a low salary) to get work experience? I looked it up in the dictionary and it uses the word "scholar" or "scholarship holder". But I feel this words are used when a student gets a grant to pay his studies. Can we use the word "apprentice" in the described context?

Thanks in advance.

26 Oct 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Loredo Beach is the way I īve heard it said (Coney Island beach, Jones beach, etc.) unless a guy name Laredo own īs the beach. A disrespectful word for houskeeper doesn īt come to mind. Intern could be the word you are looking for for a person working in a company in the capacity you said.

26 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

It īs OK both ways.

We would use "Laredo īs beach" when we know there is a beach in Laredo but we don īt know (or don īt want to use) the name of it. 

Example:

Laredo īs beach is a a white sandy paradise called "Blue Bay".

26 Oct 2011     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

I would think it īs OK to say Laredo īs beach - but it sounds much better to say īthe beach of Loredo � as it īs an inanimate object, much the same as we would say īthe corner of the room � rather than īthe room īs corner �.  I agree that īintern � is the word you are looking for in the last example.  As regards a maid or housekeeper, maybe you could use īhome-help �.

26 Oct 2011     

belksau
Portugal

I hate to disagree but I believe if the name of the beach is Laredo, then it is Laredo Beach.  A much better way to write the sentence would be to write- īI went to the beach at Laredo � if Laredo is not the name of the beach.  
It is very unusual to use a a possessive īs � in this context and I agree with you that in general possessive īs � relates more to living things. I would have corrected the student the same way as you and have done.

26 Oct 2011     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Thanks a million to everybody for your answers. You are all just terrific!

26 Oct 2011