Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Residency cards in Spain    

Residency cards in Spain

colibrita
United Kingdom

Residency cards in Spain

Hi, this is a question for those British citizens living in Spain....

What happens when your residency card expires? People have told me they �re no longer issued, you just have to use your passport or driver �s license as proof of identity. And if there is no card, are you still supposed to renew your residency somehow?  Or is there no need, is empadronarte enough?

I �ve started to look at the official immigration website but I �d just like get some  personal experiences and advice.

Thanks

3 Nov 2011      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

the card doesn �t exist anymore, although I did hear that it might came back.
What you get now is a certificate, with the same number, which you will always need for tax purposes etc.
What ever you do, don �t hand in your card.  Report it lost or something as it is a complete pain later, wherever you go people want to see your DNI not your passport, especially if your dni is the number they �ve got on their records.

3 Nov 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks a lot dawnmain.Somebody suggested minimizing the certificate and laminating it. But anyway, I �ll hang onto my card per your advice. It �s really dog-eared tho �! Wish we could have ID cards too. It �s much more expensive to replace a stolen passport.

3 Nov 2011     

rockthevinyl
United States

Eek!  I �m an American in Spain, and it sounds like your process is just as complicated as ours...  As we �re not European, we have to register for a tarjeta de extranjeros (TIE), which has a number on it (NIE), and renew it every year.  Lots of fun!

Good luck!

3 Nov 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I renewed my NIE 3 years ago! perhaps  I also need a TIE now.  I ve never even heard of it.
btw the certificate is an A4 size letter type thing . no phpto. no use reducing and laminating Im afraid.

3 Nov 2011