Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > why past continuous?    

why past continuous?

Vale A.
Romania

why past continuous?

Hello dear colleagues,

Could you please help me with the following sentence?
The man was carrying no identification and there was nothing in his pocket except some old bank notes...
My students don �t understand why they should use past continuous and neither do I, to be completely honest. The past simple form seems more correct and logic to me.

Lots of thanks for your help!!!

8 Nov 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

What about the background for the story as a description of a man?

We often use the past continuous tense to "set the scene" in stories. We use it to describe the background situation at the moment when the action begins. Often, the story starts with the past continuous tense and then moves into the simple past tense. Here is an example:

" James Bond was driving through town. It was raining. The wind was blowing hard. Nobody was walking in the streets. Suddenly, Bond saw the killer in a telephone box..."
Sophia

8 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

I guess the context is

The man 
was carrying no identification and there was nothing in his pocket except some old bank notes... when they found him or when he was arrested or something like that.

For me it �s quite obvious. It �s what was happening when the main action took place. 

8 Nov 2011     

Vale A.
Romania

Great explanations dear Sophia and perma! thank you so much!

8 Nov 2011