Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHEN DO WE USE BLOND(E) OR FAIR?    

WHEN DO WE USE BLOND(E) OR FAIR?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

WHEN DO WE USE BLOND(E) OR FAIR?

Sorry to bother you with this silly question but I haven �t got a clear idea of what is fair and what is blond(e) for native English or American. I think Americans don �t use it to talk about the colour of people´s hair or at least it is what my language assistant told me this morning. Which colour is lighter or darker?

Thanks in advance
Yolanda

8 Nov 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/blonde
It �s interesting that if you google search blond hair image and fair hair image it gives the same results:)
It would be nice to know the difference.
Sophia

8 Nov 2011     

makibg15
Croatia

In most English speaking countries, there is no difference in the meaning except that "blond" always carries the hidden suggestion of "dumb blond" for some people. Oddly, though, for a man to be called blond he must have very light coloured hair, otherwise he would be called fair-haired. A woman can be much darker and still be blond.

8 Nov 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yolanda i work with lots of native speakers and they use blond for hair and fair when they talk about skin  rarely for hair.

8 Nov 2011     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

Hi Yolanda,
I �m a native speaker and fair haired people are people with light brown hair, light reddish hair, and blond hair. Fair generally refers to the person �s colouring which will include the colour of the skin and sometimes the eyes. The skin with be pale or white and the eyes will frequently be light as well.

Blond is a specific colour like red and comes in many shades. White/blond (usually little kids are called tow heads and have this colouring. Sometimes as they grow older their hair gets darker but it is still blond. Blond can go from the whitest blond, to a rich honey blond. 

As for which is lighter? The blond toe head would be the lightest but a bleached blond could be equally light and not blond at all. :)

Hope this helps.
Cheryl

8 Nov 2011