Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > quickie    

quickie

jarek2011
Poland

quickie

I know that "qucikie" is the word for short, passionate sex but someone in the forum used this word in another context, namely in describing a quick question and they set me thinking:

Can you say in English:
Can I ask a quickie?

9 Nov 2011      

Gaby141
United Kingdom

We wouldn �t say �can I ask a quickie? �   If we don �t want to take up somebody �s time then we might say �Just a quickie, did you ........? �

Hope that helps :-)

9 Nov 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I remember short Garfield cartoons which were called "Garfield Quickie", so it �s not always about sex. You can call any activity which takes a really short time "a quickie" but I guess there will always be people who will accuse you of being ambiguous:)
Sophia

9 Nov 2011     

perma
Greece

Hi Jarek!
It was me who used the word on the forum yesterday Smile
I �ve read the expression "just a quickie" numerous times on another british forum, where all members are british, and no one seemed to take offence so i gather it �s a common expression.
Actually I hadn �t known that there was another meaning to the word, until I read your comment today!

9 Nov 2011     

jarek2011
Poland

thanks to all of you for clarifying this issue for me. I am very keen on learning new phrases and when I stumble across sth that I don �t know then it sets me thinking whether it �s correct or not or whether/ which context I can use it :)

9 Nov 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi there

Sometimes these post are hilarious. People from all around the globe, each one of us with... as we say here " our monkeys in the attic " ( this one was discussed here sometime ago ), we do learn tons of    USEFUL (??? ) things.

I didn �t have any idea of the sexual side of the word,but, in fact, GOD, ... HOW could I be so silly? So similar to Portuguese.

BTW, if you want to spread your foreign language knowledge?
It goes like this:

Rapidinha

And if you say such a thing, everyone will think ...yes, exactly what you are thinking. Something good   you do in a glimpse.

God, I would like to know who invented the short, abridged form of such a wonderful thing that can last......well, better to stop here.

I would kill him. LONG AND LAST

Sorry, no emoticons, no pictures available, hope you don �t misunderstand my message.

Sleep well, midnight, SHARP

C u

( I can write this " c u ),,because only a small part of us are Portuguese, because, in Portuguese " cu" is a nasty word for bottom.

C   U

Linda

10 Nov 2011     

kinho
Brazil

LOL Oh, Linda......................!!!!

10 Nov 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

The meaning of "quickie" probably depends on your dialect. I �m American, so the connotation for me is the sexual one. Sounds like the Brits are more clean-minded than I am...

10 Nov 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry but in Australia, I would not ask for a quickie unless I was paying a prostitute and I was broke!

10 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

You can use it in that way (we also do in American English), but it is usually done  with the intention of implying the double entendre. 

In common use a quickie is actually anything that is done quickly (usually in a rush) and takes just a short period of time.

Douglas

"I �ve got a quick question for you."

I �ve got a quickie for you"

10 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

You can use it in that way (we also do in American English), but it is usually done  with the intention of implying the double entendre. 

In common use a quickie is actually anything that is done quickly (usually in a rush) and takes just a short period of time.

Douglas

10 Nov 2011