Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi dears,Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp    

Hi dears,Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Naoom
Palestine

Hi dears,Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Hi dears,
Thanking you all,ineed your help.Can you give me a perfect rule to show when we pronounce the past ed as /t/ or//d/ or /id/.
You will be much laudable if you send me worksheets.
thanks again,

13 Nov 2011      

paddyofarrell
Ireland

Pronounce the -ed ending /t/ after all unvoiced sounds, except /t/ e.g. jumped, washed.
Pronounce the -ed ending /d/ after all voiced sounds, except /d/ e.g. mailed, played.
Pronounce the -ed ending /id/ after /t/ and /d/ e.g. painted, handed.

I �m sorry, but I don �t have a worksheet handy to send to you. There is a very simple and clear exercise on this in Headway Intermediate if you have access to this book.

13 Nov 2011     

honeybel
Italy

I found a ws for you in the site. I hope it �s usf. here you are:        

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=442363#thetop

13 Nov 2011     

Naoom
Palestine

Well.Thats what i am looking for.Thanks alot dearest.

13 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Naoom,
I don �t know if this advice will be useful for you, but when I teach the -ed ending, all I teach is whether to pronounce the "e" or not. It is impossible to pronounce it /d/ after an unvoiced sound and impossible to pronounce it /t/ after a voiced sound - well, not quite impossible, but not natural. Therefore, all the student needs to know is whether the -ed is pronounced as a separate syllable or not. This makes it easier for the students to remember.

Bruce

13 Nov 2011