Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Could you help, please!    

Could you help, please!

savvinka
Russian Federation

Could you help, please!

Hi, everyone!
Playwright and Dramatist are synonyms. What �s the difference between the words?
What is Shakespeare? A playwright? Or can we call him a dramatist as well?
Thank you for your help.
Olga

14 Nov 2011      

yanogator
United States

I think of them as being the same.

Bruce

14 Nov 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

So,  are you saying  they are just synonyms without any subtle shades of meaning?
I am asking because I �ve heard today from the RUSSIAN English teacher her explaination of the difference in these words at the lesson. Some teachers want to be so clever in the eyes of their sts and invent their own versions , so I decided to check with a native speaker.

14 Nov 2011     

rockthevinyl
United States

I consider them the same, although �playwright � is more common and less sophisticated to my ears.

Here �s what I found online, however:

Webster �s New World College Dictionary

dramaturgist/dramaturge/dramaturg [not �dramatist,� but similar]

-a playwright, esp. one associated with a particular theater

-a literary advisor for a theater, who works with playwrights, selects and edits scripts, etc.

The dramaturge and the playwright have to work together, consulting with each other on all levels of the stage play such as characters, settings...

14 Nov 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot!

14 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

I think dramaturgist is a little different, but I never use that word. Yes, to me there aren �t subtle differences between "playwright" and "dramatist". I agree with rockthevinyl that "playwright" is more commonly used and sounds less hoity-toity.

Bruce

14 Nov 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

From the Canadian paper, Toronto Star 

"He lived out his final days next to Nash�s House, in New Place. But in 1759, the owner, Francis Gastrell, tore it down, outraged over a tax dispute and weary of visits from Shakespeare�s fans. The curmudgeonly Gastrell had already invoked the town�s wrath by felling a mulberry tree that the playwright had planted � although a local carver transformed the salvaged wood into a suspicious number of trinkets.

He made a whole forest of them,� winks Julian Spilsbury, a guide at Nash House, where some of those items are on display. A descendent of the original mulberry now occupies a garden behind Nash House and serves as Stratford�s answer to the Blarney stone. �Touch the bark, and you�ll be talking poetry,� Spilsbury promises"

14 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

Webster�s and Oxford�s define both words as "a person who writes plays" and I don�t know of any "subtle differences" in the meanings, so I would say there are no differences.

15 Nov 2011