Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help: advanced vocabulary for students    

Help: advanced vocabulary for students

newuser07
Argentina

Help: advanced vocabulary for students

Hi friends!

Such a long time :)

I�d really appreciate your help right now ;) My students are about to receive visitors from abroad next month and want to show how much they�ve learnt. The thing is they would like to come up with fancy, cool, informal and advanced expressions!

Could you pls share some of the typical expressions you teach your advanced students to "show off" a little, which are not likely to appear in a regular dictionary?

In Argentina we have expressions such as "ser cholulo" (you love celebrities and read about them, know a lot about their lives, etc), mandar fruta ( I�ve never been able to find the exact translation.... make a wild guess? not sure....,  etc

Thanks in advance your your help. 

Smile

16 Nov 2011      

ruisleipa
Finland

Hi,

That �s quite a wide request! Expressions for what situations? I posted an idioms exercise for advanced students that you could have a look at:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=589886#thetop

Otherwise it �s a bit hard to say without some context.

Nick

17 Nov 2011     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks for your answer. Any ideas on how to translate the expressions I included? Expressions could be related to socializing (since they �re usually in charge of driving them from the airport, having lunch together, etc) and work (at the office).

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I hope some native can help me :)
Ana

PD: the thing is sometimes I�m not sure whether the expression is something a native would actually use nowadays....

17 Nov 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here �s a quiz archive which can help enrich general vocabulary http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/quizzes/quiznet/quiznet_archive.shtml
Sophia

17 Nov 2011