Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for help    

Ask for help

teacher drica
Brazil

Ask for help

Hello!

I �ve aqsked my students to organize the words and make a question: many/ how/ are/there/ table/ the/ on / ?. And one of them organized the sentence like this:

How many cakes are on the table there?

Does it make sense???

I �d like some help about this question...

Thanks in advance...

18 Nov 2011      

maryse pey�
France

I am afraid it makes no sense at all !

You can only say : How many cakes are there on the table ?

Have a splendid Friday.

18 Nov 2011     

zoemorosini
United States

Sorry, I have to disagree with Maryse.  It �s colloquially acceptable English.  Also, it could be said if you �re focusing on one particular table of cakes (versus other tables nearby that also have cakes).

However, if you �re practicing "there is/are" structures, use Maryse �s example.

Hope this helps!

18 Nov 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Yes, I agree with zoemorosini it is a colloquially correct sentence.

but it�s better to ask, �How many cakes are on that table? � for a specific table.

The correct answer in a written English test using your example, would be, �How many cakes are there on the table?�.
Giving an example of the type of answer required is the only thing I can think of to avoid wrong answers. So many things in English can be written another way ;-)

18 Nov 2011     

ruisleipa
Finland

I �m with the yanks and the ozzies.

Although I probably would not teach my students that particular sentence but would rather stick with Maryse �s suggestion, simply because I �m pretty sure that �s what the student originally meant!

18 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

I think you have to give the student full points for the answer--it is not wrong.  It is a little unusual, but it is correct.

Douglas

18 Nov 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Yes. Correct it may be, but unless they are a native speaker it was probably just good luck.
Most serendipitous!

18 Nov 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Good god, Apodo! Don �t you serendipitous me again! LOL Thought it was Word of the Day and had to look it up!!!

18 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Me too! Had never heard it before... What a word!! Wacko

18 Nov 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Apolo, can you use that word in another sentence to get the translation better, please?

18 Nov 2011     

mariec
Spain

How about," How many cakes are on the table over there?"

so  you can be sure that the student hasn�t misunderstood  the verb "there be"

18 Nov 2011     

1    2    Next >