Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need help!    

I need help!

ve.garcez
Brazil

I need help!

Hi! My name is Vera and I �ve been working in a private school in Brazil for almost 10 years. This year I have a very difficult group of parents. One of them came to talk to me about her kid.
She said that her kid studies English since he is three years old (now he �s 8) and she doesn �t agree that new students that have been studying English for about 2 years study at the same class as him.
I �ve tried to explain her that this is not a problem since the new students learn more when they are in contact with old students but she doesn �t seems to understand. Now I need some advices. What should I say to her?
Do you know any books that talk about this?
Thanks in advance!!

19 Nov 2011      

Apodo
Australia

Explain to the parents that this is a wonderful opportunity for revision of the basic groundwork he has aready done. Surely his grammar isn �t perfect? Working on pronunciation too can only be a bonus. And native speakers spend years working on their spelling. ;-)
Perhaps you can offer some more advanced exercises for this child in addition to the classwork if he finds it too easy. In role plays he could take the more difficult parts. He could be encouraged to use a wider vocabulary when giving answers, both spoken and written.

I teach adults and they are all at different levels. The more advanced students actually asked if they could repeat the basics along with the others. They finish the work more quickly, but still make some errors. While the beginners give basic answers, the more advanced students can write more complicated sentences using a much wider vocabulary.

I think the parents need reassurance that their child is being given opportunity to advance, and is not being �held back � by the others.

19 Nov 2011     

ve.garcez
Brazil

Hi Apodo, thanks for your help!!!! Great advice!

19 Nov 2011     

class centre
Belarus

Parents always worry about their children being given only the best. When I have something similar in my experience, I confidently and calmly say to the parent that of course I take it into account and give their child special attention and tasks. The same is going on if a mother comes to me to talk about her slow child. Of course, I remember about his peculiarities... Apodo is right about constant polishing the language skills. It takes years. But the parents need to know that their child will be taken care of. Good luck! 

19 Nov 2011     

Naoom
Palestine

Being older than his climates, doesnt mean that he must be in another level.even if he learns more.
Parents must  understand that we have individual differences and this cannot be measured by numbers of years a student has learnt.
You can yourself decide.If you notice that he needs more .you can give him more work sheets and enrich him more than others.

19 Nov 2011     

ve.garcez
Brazil

Hi! Thanks for your help! I will try talk to her and explain that. What are you experiences?Do you have in the same class students that studies English since little kids mixed with students that studies English for a shorter period of time?
Thanks again

19 Nov 2011