Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which alternative is correct? Why?    

Which alternative is correct? Why?

ebrahmi
Tunisia

Which alternative is correct? Why?

In our grandparents �s times, people used to work longer hours than anyone today WOULD ACCEPT / WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED.

--> I �d rather use "WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED" because it is the most plausible answer when used in the context below.

* If I �d lived in my grandparents � times, I wouldn �t have accepted to work for longer hours.

Thank you for your help
                                       (◕‿◕)

19 Nov 2011      

maryse pey�
France

I agree with your deduction : wouldn �t have accepted is ok.

It is ok as both action are past only. With the pluperfect for the 1st verb you need a past conditional.

IF + verb 1 at the pluperfect ---> verb 2 at the past conditional (here WOULD + past infinitive).

In your sentence YOU does not live in one�s grandparents� times (irreal) situation so one�s refusal is virtual too.

ADDENDA : exact ! there is TODAY !!!! So with today it is WOULD ACCEPT ! conditional present ! Sorry ! What I explained is for the irreal in the PAST.

and by the way, in France, we are taught that when there is an "s" as the final letter and that a possessive case is necessary a comma is enough. That is the reason why I did not put the 2nd "s".

hope it is clear !

19 Nov 2011     

om montaha
Tunisia

In our grandparents �s times, people used to work longer hours than anyone todayWOULD ACCEPT / WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED.is not a conditional sentence;

1)In our grandparents times, people used to work longer hours than anyone can accept TODAY(to express present ability because u are not living in your granparents � times.
2)In our grandparents times, people used to work longer hours than anyone may accept TODAY(to express present possibility.

19 Nov 2011