Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Computer Advice again please    

Computer Advice again please

alien boy
Japan

Hi Julia!

You need to think about your priorities. Make a list of them & then look to see what best suits your needs.
For example:

Do you already own programs that you want to keep using, or are you prepared to buy more programs for a different platform (i.e. Mac vs Windows)?

Are all your peripherals compatible with whatever operating system you could get? Some things won �t necessarily work with Windows 7 or Mac OS, especially if they �re old (like my scanner... :( )

Is the cost of the hardware (computer, monitor, whatever you need) a factor? WHat �s your budget?

Aesthetics... (& this is such a personal choice)... what do you find the most desireable to work on?

Just a few ideas to consider...

Cheers,
AB

21 Nov 2011     

juliag
Japan

Excellent advice as always, thank you dear AB.

I �m pretty sure like yours my scanner is too old to be compatible, but I tried my external hard drive and projector etc. with  my friend �s Mac when she came to stay this weekend and they seem to be compatible which will make the switch a lot easier if that is the way I decide to go.
 Still swinging between the two a bit, the thought of buying all the software does put me off a bit, but everything else seems to push me in the direction of Mac so I feel like that might be the way I end up going.

Changing the subject entirely, how are you and yours?

I hope you �re well, everything is fine here though getting a bit too cold for my liking.

Just finished a big Charity Family Fun Day in which we raised 67, 251 yen for Tohoku so that was pretty cool.

Are you still as desperately busy?

I �m hoping to have a couple of slightly easier weeks before I need to start thinking about Christmas parties for the kids and sending Christmas presents back home and making New years cards for here.

What are your plans for the holiday?
I �ll stay here this winter and probably go home for 10 days or so next summer as I haven �t been for 5 years I counted up this afternoon!

Well, thank you again for all your wonderful advice time and time again and take care.

Julia

21 Nov 2011     

< Previous   1    2