Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which grammar subject and vocabulary must be taught at the first day of English lesson for high school students who don´t know English?    

Which grammar subject and vocabulary must be taught at the first day of English lesson for high school students who don´t know English?

emila
Turkey

Which grammar subject and vocabulary must be taught at the first day of English lesson for high school students who don´t know English?

Hello everybody,

Nice to be here again.I missed you a lot.I want to thank for all the nice contributions.I like reading your messages on the forum.You give useful ideas and diffrent view for the teaching.I like using that ideas in my lessonsThanks for all your useful helpJ

I want yo ask a question to you.Which subject do you teach at the beginning of your first lesson with the high school students who don�t know English? Is vocabulary more important than grammar? How can I help my students to enlarge their vocabulary about English? (They don�t like doing homework as other students) What do you suggest me?

28 Dec 2008      

Snow- white
Macedonia

You can start with a lesson on the computer so  they can see that knowing English is something usefull for them(msn.net..)teach the vocabulary for something they are interested with just to get their attention.Or you can start with introduction vocabulary.I suggest not to start with grammar and rules becouse you might get the opposite effect since they don�t like learning the language a lot.Try teaching vocabulary about the stuff they like music,films...These are just ideas to help you 

28 Dec 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

Ss enjoy the feeling of being able to communicate as soon as possible. It is also important for them to learn through meaningful texts and activities.
As your ss don�t know any English and they are teenagers is good for them to start learning short phases like: What�s your name? My name is...., How old are you?... and so on. Learning some "tourist English" combined with basic grammar and vocabulary may motivate them to learn more as they learn to communicate and use the language very fast. They keywords here are motivation and meaningful content.

Regarding homework, that�s a tough one. Specially when dealing with teenagers. What works for me most of the time is to give them the homework 10 or 15 minutes before the end of the lesson.  I tell them that they have to start doing the homework right away and if they finish before the end of the lesson, they don�t have homework. Most of my ss don�t finish the whole homework in the classroom so they do what little is left at home.

Tisha

28 Dec 2008     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I ask them if they speak English and, odf course, they say no. Then I show them a powerpoint presentation , or flashcards with English words which are international like ipod, mounain bike and so on. Then I use pubs like cornflakes, Vanish and I make them think about the words they know. I don�t give grammar lessons at the beginning. I give them the numbers, we play bingo. Then I start with small dialogues like. What�s your name, address, phone number and age.
Silvia

28 Dec 2008     

emila
Turkey

Thanks for nice replies snow white, Tisha, Silvia.I am going to try them: ) You are great teachers: )

Alime:)

28 Dec 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

I forgot to mention songs. All my ss no matter what age love working with songs and lyrics. Ask your ss to come with suggestions about songs they would like to work with.  You�ll be surprised how well they work even if the song is difficult for them. If they like they song, they won�t mind at all if they don�t understand every single word.
There are lots of pages on the web with lyrics. Many people here have also uploaded wss with lyrics.

Teenagers also like to work with crosswords.

Good luck.

28 Dec 2008     

spring
Turkey

Hi Alime,
I agree to all above and also I advise you to teach English in contexts.
As Tisha stated Ss enjoy the feeling of being able to communicate as soon as possible.
So start with everyday dialogues..
Greetings,how to order smth, suggestions..
Or dialogues that frequently occur at the stations,in cafes,cinemas are also attractive and enjoyable for them..
:)))))

28 Dec 2008