Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help transation    

help transation

brokette
France

help transation

please could you help me translating the fact of going to the police to complain about something in order to bring about lecagl actions

21 Nov 2011      

brokette
France

legal actions sorry....Wink

21 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

To file a complaint. (against someone) or a police report (about an incident)

or 

To sue someone.  (Take legal action to make someone pay you money for something they did or that they owe you and haven �t paid back) 

21 Nov 2011     

brokette
France

thank you!

21 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@douglas

Do you really go to the police in America when you want to sue soemone?? I �ve never heard that before... Ermm Wouldn �t you rather consult an attorney-at-law (lawyer) in such a case?

I �m a bit confused now. Confused

21 Nov 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Maybe you mean to press charges

21 Nov 2011     

douglas
United States

Lina is right, most people go to a lawyer who then goes to the court house to file a lawsuit--however, it IS a legal action..

I included suing someone only because it is also a way of bringing legal action against someone.

Also Manonski also has a good suggestion with "pressing charges"

21 Nov 2011     

brokette
France

Ok right I am doing a lesson on bullying. If someone is bullied, he can go to the police and file a complaint against the bully. He will first go to the police just to mention the identity of his bully.

So I think that in that case the right translation would be file a complaint against someone

;) 

21 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

So do I, brokette... Good choice! ;-))

21 Nov 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

To report to the Police. And then you can file a lawsuit or a claim through your insurance company for a stolen air conditioner, for example. ;)

21 Nov 2011