Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Taq Question Confusion     

Taq Question Confusion

Imdad
Bangladesh

Taq Question Confusion

The other day when I was going through some of the exercises on Tag Question, I found the following statements. Though I have produced the solution, Still I am confused whether the Tags are correct.

Here are the sentences:

1. Good Morning, isn �t it?

2. Thank you, don �t I?

3. Happy birthday to you, isn �t it ? / don �t I?

What I found out is this :

1. (It is a) Good morning, isn �t it?

2. ( I ) Thank you, don �t I?

3. ( It is a ) happy birthday to you, isn �t it?

or, ( I wish a ) happy birthday to you, don �t I?

Are these Tag Questions correct?

If there is any problem, or any other explanation, plzzzzzzzzzz, elucidate that.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

26 Nov 2011      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Imdad,
Only the first one would use a tag question, and you have it right.

"Thank you" is a simple statement, that would never be made into a question.

We don �t even say "Happy birthday to you"; we just sing it in the standard birthday song. The standard greeting is just "Happy birthday". We could say "I wish you a happy birthday", but we wouldn �t make it into a question, and we wouldn �t say "to you".

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

26 Nov 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I�m not surprised you are confused. I am! These are usually statements. I didn �t understand your tags.Confused

1. Good morning.

2. Thank you.

3. Happy Birthday!

Possible tag questions could be:

1. It�s a good morning isn�t it?  (At an activity where you are enjoying your morning)

2. I thank you when you help me don�t I? (After you�ve been accused of being impolite)

3. It�s your birthday isn�t it?  (You are checking to make sure)

26 Nov 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

yanogator,

I also support your idea what you told. Usually, these statements can not have Tag Questions, but it is unfortunate that we, in our country, have many of these Questions in the Exams. The Teachers, I don �t know why, gives these questions in the exams of SECONDARY and HIGHER SECONDARY Questions. So, the students are also in a fix what to do about it. !!!!!!!!!!!

Even some days ago i saw this sentence "Who cares"  (!!!) And it was given to make Tag Question... !!!!!!!!!

How funny !!!!!!!! You see, this is a Question in form, but the teachers of that Question Setter prescribed. What do you think about it?

What can we do now? I don �t know why do the teachers give this kind of sentences. Aren �t they aware of it ? Or, do they just want to fun of it?

By the way thanks for your kind and lucid explanation.

Thanks a lot.

Be happy forever

Imdad

26 Nov 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

yanogator,

Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!
Your explanation is very helpful. Really these sentences could be in the same way as you described; and so did I think.

Once again, I am grateful to you.

I Hope that I will get more of this explanation from you.

Imdad

26 Nov 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Even some days ago i saw this sentence "Who cares" (!!!) And it was given to make Tag Question... !!!!!!!!!

And what was the correct answer to that?  LOL

26 Nov 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

Actually, you see, this is an Interrogative Sentence, then, how can it take A Tag Question?

But there was the answer given in the book as -- Who cares, do they?

If you consider the following sentence , you will see :

" They know who cares. " Even if this sentence takes a Tag, then, It will be "don �t they?" because of the Principal Clause that emphasizes on the meaning.

Isn �t it?

26 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

"Who cares, do they?" is definitely wrong. Books are not always correct.
"They know who cares, don �t they?" is a correct use of a tag question, but I would never "build" it from the simple "Who cares?", which is already a question.

Bruce

26 Nov 2011