Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas for teaching wrting to 3r grade (8yrs) students     

Ideas for teaching wrting to 3r grade (8yrs) students

juliag
Japan

Hey there Liz,
a pleasure to try and help someone who always gives so much, though I don �t know if any of what I have to say will be useful for your or not.

Although,a s others have commented, Mena �s guided writings are fantastic, having seen your printable I think they will be too difficult for your students, as they would be for any of my younger ones.

There are some nice printables here with pictures that you have to match sentences, too. Your students could do that and then write something similar but more relevant to their own lives.

However you decide to do it I think your students will need lots of sample paragraphs to give them an idea of what is expected from them. Your print is one fun way for them to explore this. I also suggest putting them in groups and giving them short paragraphs cut up into sentences which they have to reorder into a paragraph, you could even put in irrelevant sentences on purpose and they have to make the paragraph leaving those out. To make it a bit more fun and active, you could even have the sentences posted up around the room and members of each group are assigned to go and copy one of two each, when they come back together they do as I explained above.

I would try to get them to do lots of guided activities like these and competing blanks in a paragraph etc. before getting them to write independently.

As to vocab. it depends on the difficulty. Kids that age in Japan aren �t expected to know any vocab of great difficulty so I just use flashcard games with the flashcards divided into themes. I have a lot of games so if you want specifics just PM me.

I would suggest your students need to be given a vocab. list to help them be able to accomplish the task. They should probably also learn the words if they are to be tested at some point. Give them a new vocab. list and some time to learn it and then one great game a fellow teacher taught me that the kids love (though I usually only play it with older students) is where you get the students in 2 teams and the first player from each team comes and sits at the front with their back to the board. You write one of the words from the list on the board. The other members of the team have to give hints - the word in their native language etc, to help the first players guess the word. The first one to do so gets a point for their team. Repeat for players 2 etc.

You could also try associative word games so one person says a word like father, another says something it makes them think of like mother, continue round the circle, words can �t be repeated or that student will be out. (obviously make it fun rather than like a bad thing).

As to grammar I would do the same kind of scrambled sentences on cards for students to reorder,  but at sentence level not paragraph level. The game where they bet on sentences in groups as to whether they are correct or not would also work I think.

I �ve never tried it but you could put categories on the board: subject, verb, adjective, object with all sorts of words in each one. Either students could try to make as many correct sentences as possible in 5 minutes. Or they could work in groups to try to come up with the craziest sentence possible. Or you could even go round the class getting the kids to say a word at a time to make up some kind of story using the words on the board. E.g. He /  is /  a / big /  and / crazy / gorilla. / He / loves / bananas / and / strawberries. Kids could illustrate the stories for homework if you wanted to give them something a bit lighthearted to do as well.

All I can think of off the top of my head, but hope some of these and the ideas you have got from other members help.
Hugs
Julia

28 Nov 2011     

< Previous   1    2