Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Computer - a domestic appliance?    

Computer - a domestic appliance?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Computer - a domestic appliance?

Dear friends,

I �ve spent quite some time trying to find out whether computers are domestic appliances or not.

According to the dictionary and Wicipedia it is not- it is only an appliance since the definition of a home appliance is that these devices accomplish some household functions such as for example cooking and cleaning?

I don �t really understand and I would be really grateful if somebody can explain it to me.

Thank you for your help. Wish u a nice day.

Zvonka

30 Nov 2011      

douglas
United States

In my eyes a computer is NOT an appliance.

30 Nov 2011     

Zora
Canada

Computers are not appliances. You will not find a computer in the "Appliance Section" of a shop nor will you find a TV or a radio there. They could perhaps be considered electronic devices. 

30 Nov 2011     

Apodo
Australia

You �re right. Domestic or household appliances are those pieces of electrical equipment which are used primarily in the home for cleaning and cooking etc.

Although computers are used in homes all the time nowadays, that was not the original use, or reason for their development.  I would call them office equipment, or scientific or educational tools.

Here is part of an advertisement:
Electrical Appliances, Whitegoods, Home Entertainment, Computers, Televisions, Laptops,

This shows the different groups of items for sale.
Whitegoods are refrigerators, freezers washing machines etc. (usually big & white )   
Home enterainment includes loudspeakers, amplifiers and projectors.

30 Nov 2011     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Douglas, Zora nad Apodo,

Thank you for your answers and explanations. My students had to write an article about 2 domestic appliances they cannot imagine their lives without and the majority of them wrote about computers and mobile phones. The fact is that kids these days don �t do that much housework any more probably because computers and phones keep them too busy ;))

Thax a lot.

30 Nov 2011