Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > 1st one-to-one class with a new student    

1st one-to-one class with a new student

0Lynxy0
Russian Federation

1st one-to-one class with a new student

Hello, dear colleagues!

We �ve discussed here many times which activities can be used at the 1st lesson with a new group. But what about 1st one-to-one class with a new student (who you don �t know and have never seen before)? How do you usually conduct it? What ideas do you use? I �ll be very much obliged to you, if you share some of them with me)

Thank you in advance!

30 Nov 2011      

GIOVANNI
Canada

If I have a student who has never been evaluated I usually give an evaluation for the first class.

I start with simple  questions with the verbs � �to be and to have � �.

Where are you originally from?
What is your name and spell it?
What is the date today?
What is your address?
When is your birthday?
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
How old are they and what are their names?
etc.

With this I am able to see whether they know numbers, alphabet, and  verbs to be and  to have.

I then continue with a series of questions for each tense until I see they are no longer able to answer correctly.

I also have the student ask me basic questions to assess their question formation.

If the student has been evaluated and I know the level, I general prepare a getting to know you question and answer exercise according to their level.

30 Nov 2011     

juliag
Japan

I have used a getting to know you type board game in the past, which was pretty successful as the fun context helped to relax the student.

1 Dec 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

When getting a new student you can always arrange a meeting where you can meet him, learn about his expectation and give a memory test, check his basic knowleddge by asking to tell about his hobbies and family and then student has to write it. Unless the chid had a very good tutor before you his level would very low in all areas like speaking, writing and reading. Starting with to be would be a good idea - it �s an easier concept to grasp than simple present for example. Using PPT games would be fun if you can.

1 Dec 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I have a chat with my new students. If they have any knowledge of the language, I speak in the language I �m going to teach. If it �s a beginner, I speak in Portuguese. It �s important to know what this person likes and doesn �t like. One-to-one lessons have to be cut out for each students. I ask about special interests, hobbies, what the person likes doing if he/ she isn �t working.

1 Dec 2011