Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Help!

Hi everybody,

Could you help me out with the following sentence?

Phil didn �t believe he ............. his driving test first time.

a)   would pass               ??
                            b)   would have passed  ??

In my opinion, option A is correct. But why not B ? I am puzzled!

Thanks in advanced :)

Jor

3 Dec 2011      

maroemma
Greece

Definitely A. It �s like saying in the present tense: "I don �t believe I will pass".

3 Dec 2011     

denizg
Turkey

Both is correct. If you want to emphasize the degree of past time of the sentence you can choose B. If not A also correct.

3 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

B might be technically correct, but people wouldn �t say it. Consider the present-tense versions of both sentences:

Phil doesn �t believe he will pass his driving test.  This is a very normal sentence.

Phil doesn �t believe he will have passed his driving test.   Since there is no future time referred to (The future perfect often uses the word "by", followed by a "deadline"), this sentence doesn �t sound at all natural. Because of this, the negative also doesn �t sound natural.

Bruce

3 Dec 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Phil didn �t believe he ............. his driving test first time.
a) would pass ??
b) would have passed ??

A. Is the correct answer.

Compare: Phil believed he would have passed his driving test first time if he hadn �t run over the instructor �s foot.

4 Dec 2011     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

I see the difference now! Funny example!

THANK YOU!

4 Dec 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

She didn �t believe she would be betrayed by a person she trusted. I believe it �s not funny Unhappy

4 Dec 2011     

ISAVELUCHITA
Argentina

both are correct. the difference would depend on the context. so, check the context from which you took this sentence.

4 Dec 2011