Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need your help!    

Need your help!

Maroune
Sri Lanka

Need your help!

Hello everybody!
A student of mine asked me  Why  the answer of this question is It �s instead of  He �s or She �s simply because they were taught that It is for Objects and animals.
For example:  Who �s this? It �s my friend Ann/ or this is my friend Ann/ She �s my friend Ann.

Thanks a lot!

5 Dec 2011      

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi, I thinks it is simply because THIS is in the question, so it remains the same SUBJECT to the answer.

I have never questioned myself about that, but it probably is because of following that structure.

I hope it helps, though I am not sure it is the correct answer.

Paola

6 Dec 2011     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

The personal pronoun "IT" can also be used to say who someone is: Who �s that? It �s our new neighbour, Mr Smith. However, we use he / she / they to give information about someone: Who �s Mr Smith? He �s our new neighbour.
We also use it when we don �t know the sex of a baby or child: Is it a boy or a girl?

On the other hand, demonstrative pronouns are also frequently used to introduce or refer to particular people:

Who �s this?
These are my daughters, Sandra and Mar�a.
Was that John on the phone just now?

Hope this helps you.

6 Dec 2011