Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Thumbnails for doc/ppt files?    

Thumbnails for doc/ppt files?

evl422
United Kingdom

Thumbnails for doc/ppt files?

I�m starting to build up quite a collection of worksheets and although I carefully name them, it�d be a huge help to be able to see thumbnails of the worksheets (in Windows Explorer) like those generated on this site. However, I�ve been unable to find a reliable way/program to do this. Anyone who has managed it or found a reasonable alternative? (What software generates the thumbnails for this site? I could live with making a directory of thumbnails.)

29 Dec 2008      

wolfy
Chile

in vista ppt can be seen using view / Large icons
When I get home I�ll check XP and see if there�s a way to do it.

29 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I have been checking in XP and I haven�t found a tool that enables to see the worksheets in thumbnail size. I usually copy the tilte you give to your worksheets before the number of printables and save it in a special folder inside a bigger one. For example, I have folders called: simple present, simple past, reading, questions, etc. Nevertheless, I would be great to have a tool to see thumbnail  worksheets.

29 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Actually I�m at work now, between classes, and I�ve just noticed that one or two of the printables I have are displayed as thumbnails when I select the "Medium", "Large" or "Extra Large" icons. �But they seem to be the exception to the rule. �This one for example:�http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=114747#thetop
displays as a thumbnail not just the word icon.
Maybe it�s a word version thing. �I�ll investigate some more when I get home. �Maybe there�s a save option somewhere.

29 Dec 2008     

evl422
United Kingdom

I�ve read there is an option to include a thumbnail when you save the file... although I can�t find it anywhere in Word 2007.

30 Dec 2008     

evl422
United Kingdom

I�ve finally found where to turn on the option for saving thumbnails in Word 2007 (and reached new levels of despair towards Microsoft in the process!!!). Apparently this option is in the Save dialog in Vista, but in XP it�s really buried and it only applies to each file, not all files (further solution coming up....).

To turn it on for one file:
Office button | Prepare | Properties.   ->  Click Document Properties | Advanced Properties | Summary tab | Save preview picture.

To make it the default for all your new files, you need to make a new ".dot" template file. Read the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182726
(NOTE: I couldn�t modify my shortcut, I had to make a new shortcut to WINWORD.EXE).

Now, if only there was an EASY way to turn it on for all the files I already have! Cry

31 Dec 2008