Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WANTA    

WANTA

ohermann
Czech Republic

WANTA

Hey, dear colleagues,

I have come across this word � wanta � and I would like to know the meaning of the word. Could you help me figure this out? It was in this context (a governor of a small Southern state is giving a campaign speech):

��Hey, you know what? I�m going to do something really outrageous here. I�m gonna tell you the truth.�

Cheers and laughter. �Yeah, I know what you�re thinking: He must really be desperate to wanta do that.� More laughter. �

Is it a misspelling? Shouldn�t be there �wanna�? Thanks a lot for your help.

BTW, it�s from the novel Primary Colors by �Anonymous� (published in 1996).

6 Dec 2011      

MoodyMoody
United States

Either way, it isn �t a standard spelling, but an attempt to spell out casual pronunciation. "Wanta" is actually a bit more careful pronunciation than "wanna." It �s rare in American English that we actually pronounce the word "to" as /tu/. The vowel gets reduced to a schwa.

6 Dec 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

I think it is an infrequently spelt informal form of �want to �.  Most peeps just write �wanna � even where the �t � is pronounced.

6 Dec 2011     

yume05
United States

Yeah.  It �s just "want to".  The more common way of spelling this colloquial is "wanna".  I �ve never seen "wanta", but it makes sense, like someone trying to spell a word they �ve never read before and sounding it out.

7 Dec 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Wanna will be normal English in a few year �s time. We will all be teaching it as an exception to the rule, just like �taught � instead of �teached �. Painful, isn �t it!

7 Dec 2011