Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it correct?    

Is it correct?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Is it correct?

Hi colleagues! it �s the confused teacher again Confused I don �t know what is happening to me these days. Mybe the stress of of our job. please is this sentence correct?

Jessica has never got any diploma in her life.

Thanks a lot for your help.

6 Dec 2011      

yume05
United States

It sounds weird when you say it.  A better way to say it is just to use "a".  I also think you need to change "got" to "gotten".

Jessica has never gotten a diploma in her life.

Or I guess:

Jessica has never gotten any diplomas in her life.

7 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

I agree about "a" instead of "any".

Also, "gotten" is AmE and "got" is BrE.

Bruce

7 Dec 2011     

grikoga
Poland

any diplomas is better but the structure is ok, it refers to present perfect for life experiences :)

7 Dec 2011     

jannabanna
France

I would prefer:

Jessica has never obtained any diplomas in her life.

7 Dec 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

Jessica has never got/gotten a diploma in her life = informal and yes, quite weird.  I believe it not to be correct.  I see it as a very casual form of speaking and not grammatically sound in a formal written sense.  Well, that �s what I think.

7 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

Daisee,
I don �t understand what you think is grammatically incorrect about "Jessica has never gotten a diploma in her life".

Bruce

7 Dec 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

@Bruce
It sounds unnatural.  It looks unnatural.  Teachers go apoplectic over its use. Anyway, like I wrote before, that �s just what I think but to quote from http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/gotten.htm:

...  it is, these days, seen as somewhat vulgar and not to be used in proper speech or formal writing.

8 Dec 2011     

douglas
United States

What sayeth Oxford:

past participle of get

As past participles of get, got and gotten both date back to Middle English. The form gotten is not used in British English but is very common in North American English, though even there it is often regarded as non-standard. In North American English, got and gotten are not identical in use. Gotten usually implies the process of obtaining something, as in he had gotten us tickets for the show; , while got implies the state of possession or ownership, as in I haven�t got any money

8 Dec 2011