Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > WHY NOT ADD PDF FORMAT    

WHY NOT ADD PDF FORMAT

Matsuri
Italy

WHY NOT ADD PDF FORMAT

Hi everyone

I have a suggestion about the file format of the worksheet that you want to upload.
I didn �t know where to post this suggestion, so I decided to post it here. 
My suggestion is to add the possibility of uploading PDF format files. I have downloaded and created many worksheets, and I find that PDF format is better.

In my experience creating worksheets using Microsoft Word, I have found that many times I have used a particular font type that not everybody has, so when people download my worksheet, it ended up not looking the same way I meant it to be. Furthermore, since I use Office 2007, converting the file from .docx to .doc or from .pptx to .ppt is sometimes frustrating because you may loose some of the features you really wanted. 

So here is my suggestion, and I really hope that someone will take it into consideration and will do something to make this possible.

Thank you all for your attention.

7 Dec 2011      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi,
we have talked about the topic here several times already. The problem is that PDF is not editable which makes the wss less attractive. Honestly, most of us edits the downloaded wss for our own use and there are also a lot of mistakes in some wss. When we talked about this, most of the members agreed that PDF is not a solution. But let �s wait, maybe ESLP members have changed their minds.
Have a nice day, Michaela

7 Dec 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I second Michaela. Word lets us adapt worksheets to our regional needs whereas PDF is a rigid format that can �t be altered. Thumbs Down

Being able to edit is very important IMHO, not only to get rid of possible mistakes, but also to adapt wss to our needs (which is more often necessary than you may think).

Take for example a basic vocab ws about fruits. In some countries students wouldn �t know what a peach, a plum or a blueberry is because they �re not available at the market (nor would students ever have seen or tried them). What are you going to do if you downloaded a PDF file? Use Tippex (aka known as Wite-Out or Liquid Paper)? Pig

MS Word wins it hands down. Big smile

7 Dec 2011     

aleia
Portugal

I completely agree that PDF format limits us completely!!!Thumbs Up

7 Dec 2011     

Matsuri
Italy

I understand what your point is, because I know PDF is a pretty rigid format, and you guys are right about the fact that it is important to have a flexible format in order to adapt the worksheet to our needs...BUT, most of the times I have a hard time uploading worksheets on this website, because I have to convert my work a million times.
Here is the thing: if I have spent HOURS creating my worksheet, and I have made sure that it is PERFECT and perfectly valid all over the world, why would I want someone else to edit my precious work? The point is that if I am sure that my work is perfectly done, I DO NOT want someone else to go over what I have done and change it, I want to share it yes, this is why I upload it, but I want to share it THE WAY IT IS.

Anyways, thanks for your responses ;)

7 Dec 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I wish I had the same self confidence!!Smile 

7 Dec 2011     

sulekra
Australia

I don �t see how the "convert my work a million times" argument is valid, because only one conversion is needed - in fact it �s the same number of conversions a PDF document needs. Shocked And PDF form doesn �t prevent someone from copying or rewriting it and editing it afterwards. It �s just a waste of time - something most teachers have very little of.

I never put up a sheet before using it at least a handful of times, but even after this I often find something I want to change, or a mistake I made - we �re all fallible, even when we think we �ve been careful, and often miss things that are right in front of our eyes. And as has been mentioned, everybody has students with different needs, at different levels, from different parts of the world - no worksheet is universal...

7 Dec 2011     

Rainbow_02
Argentina

I think the same as you, @Mariethe
Why would I want someone else to edit my precious work? LOL Well... I don �t think it �s a matter of wanting to change someone else �s work, it �s just a matter of adapting it to our own students � needs and the contents that every one of us teaches!  

I think @PhilipR  �s example is more than clear about that...

Thumbs up for Microsoft Word! Star

Cheers from Argentina!

7 Dec 2011     

Matsuri
Italy

Well sulekra, I understand what you mean, but let �s say I use a fancy font that you don �t have, you open up my .doc file, and your computer turns that fancy font into the "awesome" Calibri, but since the fancy font was much smaller, when turned into Calibri it will become much bigger, and it will screw up all the tabs, the position of certain things...so THEN you would have to WASTE TIME fixing everything again...since I want to prevent that, I usually turn what I have done into a picture, and then I put it back into .docx files and then save it as .doc file (that really doesn �t take much time at all). So as you can see it does take longer for me than saving it as a PDF file.
Does anyone understand what I mean, or is it just me making my life harder that it is?
I know I am a little complicated, but I am an artistic, perfectionist type of person, so that �s why all this fuss....LOL

7 Dec 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Ouch, I want your confidence, Matsuri!
It happened several times that even native speakers had made a mistake in their wss. How can you be sure your wss are 100% perfect? And how can you be sure we all have exactly the same needs as you? Sorry girl, but I believe a bit of modesty would be in place here.Wink

7 Dec 2011     

maryse pey�
France

A solution I use when my documents are too much heavy : I scan them and the problem is solved. It could replace the pdf format and your presentation will stay as you want...

It is perfectly understandable that you cannot know what a downloader will do with your work... I download then I adapt to my students � needs or my own idea... I am sure you cannot say that you keep unchanged the whole wss you download, can you ?

It is not at all a reproach, just reality !

Buon natale ! Happy Christmas !  Marisa.

7 Dec 2011     

1    2    Next >