Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > VERB "RECOMMEND"    

VERB "RECOMMEND"

Isabel L
Spain

VERB "RECOMMEND"

Hi,
just a silly question. Which structures can we use after "recommend"? 
I �ve just seen "Susan recommends that Carol buy the dress" and found it strange. 
Thanks a lot

8 Dec 2011      

yanogator
United States

It �s right. After "recommend that" or "suggest that", we use the infinitive without "to".

We recommend that she learn this structure.

I suggest that he get some help.

Bruce

8 Dec 2011     

kodora
Greece

It is called subjunctive so have a look at this link:
http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/subjunctive.html
Dora

8 Dec 2011     

carinaluc
Argentina

The sentence is right.  Here are other possible patterns with �recommend �:

Everybody recommended that she should continue with her education for 3 more years. [+ that-clause with should + infinitive]

Everybody recommended that she continued with her education for 3 more years. [+ that-clause with past]

Everybody recommended that she continue with her education for 3 more years. [+ that-clause with subjunctive]
Even her granny recommends that she continues with her education for 3 more years. [+ that-clause with present]

I would never recommend using a sunbed on a regular basis. [+ -ing verb]

Hugs

Carina

8 Dec 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I will take the opportunity with your post, dear Isabel, to recommend that everyone read Tongue the brilliant book by Tolkien:"Letters from Father Christmas" I bought it for myself as a Christmas present from me to me! Just got it and it is a TREASURE! A treasure of creativity and an even bigger treasure of LOVE! If you don �t know what to get for Christmas , don �t miss this wonderful book of letters written every year by a loving father to his children , for more than 20 years ... A book of letters from Father Christmas!Lovely illustrations too!

8 Dec 2011     

Isabel L
Spain

Thank you all for your help ... and your recommendation, Mariethe

8 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

Carina,
I don �t know about the grammatical correctness of your sentences, but we wouldn �t use two of them:

recommended + that-clause + past

And that-clause + present is used only in informal conversation.

Bruce

8 Dec 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Thanks so much for the link to the subjunctive, kodora. I cannot convince my fellow colleagues, all native speakers, that there is such a tense. They just don �t believe me!
Cheers Joy

9 Dec 2011     

carinaluc
Argentina

Bruce,

Have a look at this:

Carina

10 Dec 2011