Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CLOSE / SHUT ?    

CLOSE / SHUT ?

Morrisons Eyes
France

CLOSE / SHUT ?

Dear members,

I was recently visited by one of my superiors and everything just went fine... However, she mentioned one thing that has bothered me since and I �m sure you �ll be able to help me decide what to do...

When I finished the lesson, I asked my ss to "close their copybooks" and she told me afterwards that I should have said "shut your copybooks". I thought then it was a bit harsh but I wasn �t so sure, so I just nodded... :o)

In my opinion, both are OK, just that I feel more comfortable with "close" rather than "shut".

What do you think? Should I continue saying "close" or not?

Thanks for your help.
Christelle

10 Dec 2011      

yanogator
United States

"Close" and "shut" are synonyms. Sometimes, "shut" has a slightly stronger meaning. "Close your mouth" is definitely more polite than "Shut your mouth". I always use "close" for books, although "shut" is also correct. Now that I think of it, I almost always use "close".

Bruce

10 Dec 2011     

Morrisons Eyes
France

Thanks for your answer Bruce... I think I �ll stick to "close" !!

10 Dec 2011     

Linou_
France

Maybe your superior should take English classes ....

10 Dec 2011     

olaola
Italy

"close your books please and listen to..." this is what I always say

10 Dec 2011     

tobysmum
Spain

Why don �t you just think that if that is all she can find fault with, then your class must have been excellent. I am a native English speaker and there is nothing wrong with "close your books" Have a great christmas!
love Sandra

10 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

If you �re still wondering, scroll down for the note on usage here http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/shut
Sophia

11 Dec 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Christelle

I never use �shut�.  To a native speaker it�s a bit abrupt.  Like Bruce said, �shut your book� is strong - it�s like �shut your mouth� or �shut up� which are both really very rude ways of telling someone to stop talking.  �Close� is far more polite and it�s what I always use and advocate.

Cheers

Jayho

11 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

To continue what Jayho said, if a student is being defiant and using a book during a test, you might sternly say, "Shut your book". Otherwise, "close your book" is gentler. Although I don �t say it, it seems that "Would you please shut the door?" isn �t any harsher than "Would you please close the door?", but we usually use "shut" when we mean to be harsh or abrupt.

Bruce

11 Dec 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I �m guessing that you did such a good lesson that the supervisor couldn �t really think of any criticism and so jumped onto a stupid point just to show that he or she was in a superior position. Frankly your supervisor needs a lesson in both natural spoken English and also in manners.
Ignore!
Cheers Joy

11 Dec 2011