Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Farewell    

Farewell

moravc
Czech Republic

As I understand it:
 At first the original uploader of an original worksheet tried to protect thistlegirl �s clipart (which she had purchased) and added the message in the PROPERTIES of the thistlegirl �s clipart. This way the given clipart was easy to recognize. The message read: "please dont steal... log on to www. thistlegirldesigns.com to purchase."

The message was hidden in the properties so the clipart could be easily recognised as copied (taken) AND NOT PURCHASED. The message was used as a copyright mark or a watermark.

Then another member downloaded the worksheet, copy-pasted the very same cliparts to his document and uploaded the new worksheet on ESLP.

In this case, Mena has NOTHING to do with the message, she just quoted the hidden properties  to show the clipart was unjustly copied. She gave the proof that the clipart was not purchased by the uploader  and so the worksheet must be removed...

Thistlegirl doesn �t allow to copy-paste her cliparts from Word documents.
The only way she finds ok is to purchase her cliparts on her website.
In this case, the cliparts WERE NOT purchased by the uploader.
They were unrightfully copied from a worksheet written by someone else.

Complicated situation.
But the conclusion is: Mena DIDN �T DO ANYTHING WRONG and the worksheet was removed right, because it was proven that the clipart was NOT purchased but taken without paying. So there is no need to be shocked or disgusted...

maker1 jumped to a wrong conclusion.
maker1 simply misunderstood the situation and misinterpreted Mena�s quote for Mena�s opinion. As far as I know, Mena usually writes politetely: "It�s a copy, please remove."
Now we all can see there is no need to leave.
:-D

12 Dec 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

maker 1,
the thing is that someone paid for the clipart from thistlegirl and used it for her wss. Someone else downloaded the ws, copied the pics she had paid for and used them in his own  wss. I don �t know about you but I call this a theft. It �s the same like you pay for your shopping in a supermarket and someone takes the trolley from you.
Mena had every right to report the wss because someone took took clipart and  also broke the copyrights of thistlegirl. So why did you start this thread?

EDIT: I changed this er a bit because I had made a wrong conclusion. Thanks to moravc who told me I was wrong. But I still think reporting the ws was a right thing.

12 Dec 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Another funny part:
We don �t know who was caught red-handed.
maker1 was not the uploader of the reported and removed worksheet.
maker1 was just shocked by the message, which s/he thought to be Mena �s but actually the words were tech_teacher �s way to protect the copyright of thistlegirl �s cliparts.
So the person who was "robbed" was probably
tech_teacher and thistlegirl.
Mena had nothing to do with it. She just found the proof.

It is a labyrinth of relations and misinterpretations.

12 Dec 2011     

Stellam
Argentina

And I �m still none the wiser Tongue

12 Dec 2011     

douglas
United States

I would be sorry to see you go.  Please give it a few days to "blow over" and reconsider.  I understand your point completely, but based on the explanations given I ask you to please reconsider.  You would be missed.

Douglas

12 Dec 2011     

naoura
Turkey

i advise you to more confident and don �t make others influence your choices no one is related to the other you may lose a lot especially that you are a good member .this is what i like to say the decision is up to you good luck

12 Dec 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Think about who loses most in this situation! 

Unfortunately it would be you, Maker1, because you would lose such excellent work from so many people. I have stood up for principles so many times and now that I �m older I realize that I am the only one who suffers. As Douglas says "Give it time" 

Don �t cut your nose off to spite your face!
Cheers Joy

12 Dec 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Maker1

I �ve read the discussion at the reporting page and haven �t engaged because I didn �t see the need of heating it.

I agree that the rules are to be followed and every time I access the moderators � page I have this concern on my mind. In this case: "the whole or parts of the ws can �t be used without the owner �s authorization" is a rule, it �s clear and should be followed if the contributor wants his ws to remain on the site.

BTW I sometimes feel that people go too far and report wss supposedly containing pictures taken from some sites. Without a prove that the pictures were really taken and not copied from free sites we can �t remove them - unless being fair is not among our concerns.

To be fair we should remove only if we are sure they were taken from "forbidden" sites, and not when we merely think they were.

In the case you mention the pictures were undoubtedly taken from a member �s ws who has paid to use them. To "mark" her own pictures (because she purchased them) she added some words in the picture properties.

The moderator �s task is not an easy one, since it �s very difficult to please everyone all the time. So we try to be as fair as we can, hoping the feelings we �re going to hurt will be recovered at a certain time in the future. If we moderate just to please the others we won �t be fair - concerning to the rules; if we stand the rules we �ll hurt someone �s feelings occasionally.

If everyone understands the nature of our task it �ll be better, less people will get hurt and no one will feel the need of leaving:

- it �s not personal.

- it �s done because it �s necessary or the site will be legally closed by clipart and other documents holders.

- it �s done to be fair with the contributors who paid to use clipart.

- it �s done to protect the ws people upload here and are not to be copied or used to prepare related work.

The housecleaning is not done to disturb the people around the house, but to keep the environment clean and free from dirt (copies and wss that don �t fit the rules).

If you decide to leave I �ll regret it but I respect your decision. But - please - think of it once more, there are people here who really appreciate your work - including me.

Have a nice day!

12 Dec 2011     

yelina
Spain

There are many teachers, as myself, who have never stolen images from other worksheets  and have been warned by mena22.

Personally I �ve always used a web browser to look for free images that I wanted to include in my printables. Among them there were many thistlegirl designs that were not protected by a watermark, so I thought that they might be copied as any other image.

After mena �s warning I stopped using them, but I can�t see the point in forbiding something that can be found in the net without any watermark or warning not to use it.

12 Dec 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

After a member has more than 10000 points he/she starts using copyright material ? Something he/she hasn �t done before ? I doubt it, it �s evidently a misunderstanding ... I hope you stay here, too, maker 1 ... Thank you for your amazing ws so far ...

12 Dec 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >