Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear teachers    

Dear teachers

trongluan
Vietnam

Dear teachers

Would you mind helping me to understand this sentence? A doctor said to his patient, "I want u to turn over onto your tummy"

What did the doctor mean? Many many thanks in advance.

13 Dec 2011      

mariec
Spain

"Would you mind lying on your stomach?"  

13 Dec 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Trongluan,

A Doctor said to his Patient:
"I want u to turn over onto your tummy".

The Doctor is examining the Patient.  The Patient is lying on his/her back, face upwards, looking up at the ceiling.  The Doctor says:
"I want you to turn over onto your tummy".

This means:
"I want you to turn your body over, onto your stomach, so that you are lying on your stomach, face downwards, looking down at the floor".

The word tummy is an informal word for the �stomach �, the �abdomen �, the �belly �, used by many English speakers.

Little children cannot say �stomach � very easily, so the Mam, (the Mother), uses the informal, affectionate, baby-word,  �tummy�, �tum�, or �tum-tum�, and many speakers continue to use this word into adulthood. 

The technical word for, �lying on the back, face upwards �, is �supine �; �lying on the stomach, face downwards �, is �prone �.

I hope that this helps.

Les

13 Dec 2011