Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp quickly ,please    

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp quickly ,please

Naoom
Palestine

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp quickly ,please

Hi dears,
seeking your help , please.
I have 2 sentences and Iam confused.How can I illustrate them to my students.
The first is
I was cleaning the roof when Helen arrived.
the second is
Helen arrived after I had cleaned the roof.
as you see the 2 are talking about 2 actions that happened in the past one before the other or one is longer than the other
But, how can we differenciate between them  and to make students understand them

13 Dec 2011      

Mouna mch
Algeria

In the first case I was still doing that action when she arrived while in the second case I had already finished cleaning when she arrived ..

13 Dec 2011     

yanogator
United States

To add to Mouna �s excellent answer, we often use the past continuous (was cleaning) to indicate an activity that was interrupted by an event (Helen arrived), which is what the first sentence does.

The first sentence could also be written, "Helen arrived while I was cleaning the roof." This way the two sentences have similar structures, so it �s even easier to see their differences.

Bruce

13 Dec 2011     

Elenie
Greece

Why don �t you ask them to draw two pictures? Or draw them yourself?
Ask them to draw you cleaning the roof and someone knocking on the door for the first case and a perfectly clean roof when your friend Helen knocks on the door (you could be sitting in the living room watching TV).
Then eliminate the rules by sking them questions, such as "Had I finished cleaning the roof when my friend arrived in both cases?"
Make them write the correct sentence next to the corresponding picture!

Good luck!

13 Dec 2011