Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > lesson objectives    

lesson objectives

akram@73
Tunisia

lesson objectives

Our new  inspector recommended us to determine the objectives of the different stages of any lesson (pre-while-post) .eg: pupils will work in pairs to match the  visuals with the provided sentences to talk about pocket money(pre -reading stage).The problem is that I am a little confused .can you suggest some concrete examples. 

4 Jan 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �d say those are activities, not objectives. They are always so different... before listening you would probably have to work on vocabulary used in the audio, looking at some pictures related to the audio, making predictions, etc., while listening you you could, for example, focus your ss� attention on 3 questions about the audio for them to listen for specific info or ask them to fill in the blanks in the transcript or something like that, after listening you could do an ordering of a stripped text based on the facts from the audio... blah-blah, it all depends, you know... 
Have you heard about SWBAT and SWD? (Students Will Be Able To & Students Will Develop)
Sophia

4 Jan 2012     

akram@73
Tunisia

Dear colleagues, 
how can we distinguish between objectives and activities in the lesson plan ?To put it in more technical words how can we formulate the activities � objectives when planning a lesson?

4 Jan 2012     

Amanda W
Austria

The objectives define  what you what them to have learned at the end of the lesson - the activities are the means you use to get them there. Mandy

4 Jan 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Akram:

Here two links:

hope this helps.

4 Jan 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

An example of an objective: The students will ask yes-no questions in the future tense using going to with correct inversion.

Activity: Show students a Magic 8-Ball (a toy that looks like the black 8 billiard ball, but with an icosohedron inside with different yes-no-maybe answers).

Provide a sample question, such as "Am I going to win the lottery next week?"

Show and explain the different answers from the Magic 8-Ball (I found a list on wikipedia).

Give the students scraps of paper and ask them to write 2 yes-no questions each about the future.

Look at the questions and make corrections. Collect the papers and put in a paper bag or hat.

Have students draw and read questions. Have them turn over the Magic 8-Ball and try to read the answer.

(This works surprisingly well with adults and tweens and teens should love it.)

5 Jan 2012