Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Phonetic Symbols    

Phonetic Symbols

Zora
Canada

That�s okay. the rambling I mean... I was a bit "heated" myself yesterday. Just tired and in serious need of a holiday. We work all through the holiday and I am pulling more hours than normal. About ten classes a day.. Confused I usually do 7 at the most. We even work Saturday mornings... so you can see why I am a bit..."irritable" - or I seem that way at least to myself...

But anyway, phonetic symbols might be Ok when the students mother tongue is another language with another alphabet like the Chinese or Russia... also I�d like to point out that for Japanese and Chinese students probably find the symbols easy to work with since there own language is sort of "symbol" based.

But for a language that uses the Western alphabet, I think teaching the symbols is quite unnecessary. If a teacher wants to use them for their own use that�s fine. It�s like goodnesses pointed out. If they are going on to teach or something similar, they will have ample time to study the phonetic alphabet and all it�s variations.

31 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3