Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > landfill for electric appliances    

landfill for electric appliances

abba
Spain

landfill for electric appliances

Good night from Spain!!! I hope all of you have had nice holidays, here we begin classes tomorrow. I am preparing the lesson for my intermediate students, it �s about environment and I was thinking about some vocabulary but I don �t know the word for the place where you bring all the electric appliances that you no longer use or are broken. I was wondering if appliances landfill would be correct.

Thanks in advance

8 Jan 2012      

tvillikko
United Kingdom

Hi Abba,
Here in London we have �tips � or amenity sites where we can take all kind of rubbish, including appliances. There �s just a separate area for each type of waste. See Wikipeadia:

A civic amenity site (CA site) or household waste recycling centre (HWRC) is a facility where the public can dispose of household waste and also often containing recycling points. Civic amenity sites are run by the local authority in a given area. Collection points for recyclable waste such as green waste, metals, glass and other waste types are available. Items that cannot be collected by local waste collection schemes such as bulky waste are also provided.

In the United Kingdom, civic amenity sites are informally called "tips" or "dumps."

8 Jan 2012     

abba
Spain

Thanks a million!!!

8 Jan 2012     

libertybelle
United States

We have recycling areas where the parts of re-used.

I totally hate the idea of putting junk into a big hole in the ground.
Eventually toxins will reach the table water and contaminate the drinking water.

Can you imagine that some countries don �t even recycle batteries?
That has to be one of most contaminating man-made objects ever!

In the states people call a land-fill for a dump.

9 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, you �re absolutely right. I �ve never heard of it taught at school, I mean recycling batteries, and certainly haven �t seen any such facilities in my home city. They�ve just recently started recycling plastic bottles, I mean put up containers for them, but again it �s not compulsory. What about other plastic objects or appliances?    
Sophia

9 Jan 2012