Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help    

I need your help

lockman
Morocco

I need your help

Hi everyone
A few days ago I gave my high students a test-  the following  multipe choice question was one of the tasks

Ask a kid about Lionel Messi and he will certainly tell you who he is.He is surely a _______football player

(Five-star/well-known/left-handed/deeply-rooted/part-time/labour-saving)

the correct answer as you certainly know is well-known

but one of my students insisted that  "five-star" is also correct!

To my kowledge "five-star" is related to hotels restaurants and other public places and not to describe people!what do you think?

MANY THANKS TO YOU

12 Jan 2012      

yanogator
United States

Yes, officially 5-star is used for restaurants and hotels, but it has come to be used for anything that is top-notch. Similarly, "rock star" is now used for any famous person (or even any person who is famous only in his own circle of people), and not just for musicians.

Bruce

12 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Five-star can refer either to a rating system or to military (AmE)
Never heard of a five-star football playerConfused but if you take into account the rating system ...
Let �s see what the native speakers have to say.
Sophia

Edit: looks like Bruce types faster:)

12 Jan 2012     

lockman
Morocco

You see dear friends I am going to show your posts to my students!It seems I have to update my knowledge about this marvellous always changing language!One of my University teachers(a  native speaker ) used to say :"with English ,for every rule ,there is an exception"Now I know he was right!

13 Jan 2012     

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear lockman,

I agree 100% with Apodo.

Hugs

Carina

13 Jan 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

I agree with Marvin. Ed

13 Jan 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Regarding football players - I would say he is well-known.

13 Jan 2012     

kingfant72
Japan

I would actually say "5-star" is the best option as "surely" adds a degree of opinion or speculation to the sentence. Fact: Messi is a well-known football player. Opinion: Messi is surely a 5-star football player.

13 Jan 2012     

kingfant72
Japan

Another option would be to change the wording of the question. "Certainly" makes much more sense than "surely" in this context.

13 Jan 2012     

lockman
Morocco

many thanks to all of you.

13 Jan 2012