Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Book levels    

Book levels

roneydirt
United States

Book levels

I would like to know besides looking up individual book for the authors expected reader age level is there a site that shows book levels for ESL students?

14 Jan 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

graded readers? is that what you mean?
Sophia

14 Jan 2012     

calixa2
Canada

Hello,

I �m not sure I got your question right, but here is a site that could be helpful.

Good Luck!

14 Jan 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

http://www.robwaring.org/er/scale/ERF_levels.htm

There are levels (headwords) of Penguin Readers, Macmillan books, Heinle, Oxford Bookworms, Footprint, Black Cat Cideb, Burlington, Cambridge Readers and other book series of famous publishing houses - see the left side column for the name of the publishers.
I believe the list is very complete...
The book title usually helps to guess the age-group, but most beginner readers can be read by children (but adults can try them too). Most publishers have a special series aimed at kids, and then  teens and adults of all levels -
eg. Black Cat - Reading and Training Series is aimed at teen/adults
but Black Cat - Easyreads is aimed at kids because there are many fairy tales, fables and stories about kids or animals.

Good original books for teens and adults: Cambridge Readers, Heinle Page Turners, Storylines (now by Oxford), Easystarts by Penguin.

See the second table for graded readers for kids. "EFL / ESL Children�s Series"

And please note: even the teens and adults like fables and fairy tales and they love listening to dramatised (full-cast) versions. The most favourite reader of all ages? The Little Prince!
Please bear in mind that books for native speakers, even at the beginner level, are not appropriate for EFL students at all. Stick to the EFL series and your students will be happy and enjoy reading very much.
Students should begin with books slightly below their level. If the adult student is hard-working, he/she might reach the 2,300 level after 5 months of everyday reading. Graded EFL books make miracles. Good luck!

14 Jan 2012