Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Qustions about Japan    

Qustions about Japan

Errie
Japan

Qustions about Japan

Hello,

Maybe some of you remember the terrible disaster that has hit Japan on March 11/2011.
I know how it is to live in in an area where thousands of people have lost their lives and still many people remain missing, those dang Nuclear reactors who are still not fully under controle, the neverending construction of buildings/roads etc....because....I live in Fukushima.

People who don �t know about the situation here might have some questions about how things are going 10 months after the tripple disaster. Now my question to you is....what are those questions?

I �m asking this because one of my students wants to brush up his conversational skills and specifically about this topic. He �s planning to move to the States and he knows that people are going to ask him about the disaster.

All help is welcome. Thnx in advance!

errie

18 Jan 2012      

stuartallen77
China

Hello, a very timely post here.

I am very interested in the Fukushima situation and have kept all of the news reports on my computer from the time. I have loads of questions I �d like to ask your students!

I guess these are the most important ones, but I actually have hundreds!

1. How did you feel knowing that there was radiation all around you which you couldn �t feel, taste or touch? Did you feel trapped?

2. How do you think the authorities dealt with the situation? Was it adequate?

3. When will it be safe to return to the area? How is the clean up operation going?

4. Do you think that nuclear energy should continue in Japan, given that the country has scarce oil and coal resources?

I actually have just completed a 2011 Year in Review lesson Plan on PDF. Its like 3mb, so too big for here and Fukushima and the Tsunami there both feature. If you, or anyone here, would like a free copy, then please send me a private message with your email and I �ll send it straight over to you.

Cheers,

Stuart Allen

18 Jan 2012     

Errie
Japan

Stuart, thnx for replying. I �ve send you a pm.

To other members, please write down your questions because the more I have the better.
Thnx in advance!

errie

18 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Errie,
Living in the country which still has to deal with the aftermath issues of a nuclear disaster (though almost 26 years have passed, btw they don �t know what �s going on inside the buried reactor), I �d like to know:
1. Do the authorities instruct the population in the affected areas on health precautions like taking iodine for example?
2. After Chernobyl many children from Prypiat city suffered (and eventually died) from thyroid cancer. Do the authorities in Japan organize some kind of health control measures for the people from the affected areas and do they report the results?
3. The international community have been told by the UNSCEAR the amount of people affected is not that drastic but people who live in Ukraine feel it is not true. Do you think the authorities in Japan are fully open?

Sophia

18 Jan 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Is there a problem getting uncontaminated food and water?
Have property values in Japan fallen drastically?
How are the displaced people coping?

18 Jan 2012     

isa2
Austria

Have you experienced growing discontent with nuclear power management in Japan?
Is there an organised  protest movement? Are people more environmentally conscious now?
Do you personally feel safe to eat local food or drink water?
Do people still eat fish or seafood? Is provenance declared on the food?
Have people moved to other regions of Japan? Is there any chance of doing so?

18 Jan 2012     

Pelletrine
France

Dear Errie,

Oh dear! lots of questions come to mind. Let �s have a look of what seems to me the most worrying ones.
- Information and liberty of movement.
Do you have different ressources to make up your mind about the situation? (which?)
Can you decide what to do about it? Can you act to do something? (what?)
What is YOUR estimation of future consequences?
What could be done nationally to cope better with the situation in and arround Fukushima today?
And, what could be done internationally ?

Cheers
Pelletrine

18 Jan 2012     

Errie
Japan

I want to thank you all for writing down some questions. Awesome! All of them are very useful and I �m pretty sure my student will be very pleased as well. I �m going to collect all the questions and try to make a nice worksheet and of course I �ll upload it. The only thing is that I don �t want the dang points. Is there a way to do so?

Again, thank you all for helping me but more important my student!
A special thanks for Stuart for sending me a complete lessonplan. I owe you big time.

errie

19 Jan 2012