Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > which one would you choose as correct,please?    

which one would you choose as correct,please?

class centre
Belarus

which one would you choose as correct,please?

John got a new job in London. So, he ____________________to London next October.
1. will go
2. is going to travel

Thanks in advance

20 Jan 2012      

maryse pey�
France

I would say the 1st solution "WILL GO" as I interpret this sentence as he thinks of moving in London, not travelling.
He planned to move in London when he knew he got the job.

20 Jan 2012     

Pelletrine
France

Oh dear, thats a tough one.... actually, I think they are both correct.... depending on context.

John got a new job in London. So, he ____________________to London next October.
1. will go
= He has got the job, so I can predict he �ll go there, in order to be on his work place.
2. is going to travel
= He has got the job, and I bet he has thus planned to travel there. ;o)

ARGH : I guess the best answer would be: So, he is going to London next October.

In the end, I would say 1., because 2. doesn �t sound very natural .... but THAT is not grammar ;o)

What do our native speakers say?

Good luck! .... and I �m inpatient to see a real good grammar answer  :o))

20 Jan 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I think that the question has to be why is John going to London? And what does it have to do with his new job!

If John has a new job in London then neither are correct if you ask me. He would neither travel to (insinuating a short stay) nor go to London in October, (Unless the job didn �t start until then) Going to London is also very non-specific - If he is moving say it! If he has to visit London on business say that!

The joys of the English language is that we have a lot of words that mean similar things, but have a nuanced definition!

Back to the original question - I would say that the sentence would make most sense if it read:
John got a new job. So he is going to London in October.

I would also prefer therefore to so - so is a bit wishy-washy :-)

The main problem with these sentences is that the first one is in the past (got) whereas the options are using future conjugations (will go and is going)

Hope that helps ;-)
Cindy

20 Jan 2012     

duygu2
Turkey

He is going to London    is the correct answer in my opinion..

20 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Both - as Pelletrine suggested - are perfectly acceptable, depending on the context. Moreover, you could - depending on the context - add:

...is going to London...
...will be going to London...

Remember that English is not a language which has three specific tenses contrasting past, present and future, so - depending on context - we could be talking about inferences and possibilities as much as predictions.

20 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi, Alex,
long time no see:)
What if that �s a test your ss are given by some inspector? and there can only be one correct option...
Sophia

20 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

That would be a pretty poor test, Sophia.

20 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Now you get what we have to put up with sometimes:)
Sophia

20 Jan 2012     

Apodo
Australia

As a native speaker I would say....so he �s moving to London next October... because that indicates he �s staying there.
Both options are gramatically correct but they don �t indicate the permanence of his trip.

I would ask �When is he going to London to start his new job? � rather than �When is he going to travel..... �  so I would choose �will go �. 

I wonder if the author of the test will agree?

20 Jan 2012     

mariec
Spain

I�d say, " He will go to London." as this is a true fact.

21 Jan 2012     

1    2    Next >