Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Yacht Club    

Yacht Club

David Lisgo
Japan

Yacht Club

Hi,

Why do we say "yacht club"? Surely the sports name is �yachting �. We don �t usually say �sail club �, �run club�, �box club �, �fly club �, etc, so why "yacht club"?

Thanks in advance.

David

21 Jan 2012      

Pinky Makus
Canada

I believe yachting is the sport but yacht club is a place or building where people gather, especially those that enjoy yachting.  Did you see this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_club

Pinky

21 Jan 2012     

Daisee
Vietnam

Interesting:

tennis club, basketball club, soccer club, yacht club, stamp club, games club etc

sailing club, boxing club, running club, knitting club, sewing club etc

Why?

21 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Well, David, to begin with, "yacht" was a noun before it was a verb, so that might be enough reason.

Bruce

21 Jan 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Maybe having a �yacht � is what is really important to people, it is less relevant for the social standing whether you actually know how use it..Wink
sorry, in a bit of a rebellious mood today..

@Daisee, we also cannot say soccering, footballing etc. these take the verb �play�.......

21 Jan 2012     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thanks for your answers.

I asked because I am doing some proof reading and was hit by the title in the abstract.

Needs Analysis of Athletes in Overseas Competitions

--in Cycling and Yacht―

I really feel it should say �Yachting � but was a little unsure.
I can row so maybe they will let me join the boat club. 

21 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

In this case, you definitely need the participle yachting, since it �s clearly talking about the activity.

Bruce

21 Jan 2012