Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching with Nursery Rhymes    

Teaching with Nursery Rhymes

SaraMariam
United States

Teaching with Nursery Rhymes

Hello everybody,

it �s been a long time. I �m sorry i wasn �t able to contribute for a while now, but I fell sick with a pneumonia with some complications, due to that lost my teaching position etc and am trying to get back on my feet now.

Anyways, I hope I �ll be able to contribute again soon :) For this I was hoping to get some advice from those who are teaching English to small children.
I always avoided using Nursery rhymes in my groups (at least those which I found too complicated), but find many teachers that really love teaching with the rhymes like Humpty Dumpty etc . So I was wondering, do you teach with those rhymes and the children actually understand all the meaning - and are you teaching the rhymes kist as rhymes or more like songs? And how do you teach them in general? I would be grateful for any little hint :) Thanks so much in advance and hope you all have a great weekend :)

Hugs
Sara

21 Jan 2012      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

First of all take great care of you !

Kids are really fabulous when you sing or tell them funny poems. An important thing is to mime what you are singing or telling and make them imitate you.

You will be surprised of how fast they are able to guess the true meaning of what you are teaching them if you show them that you take a great pleasure to "play a part" like they do.

Sing, tell or make them hear once or twice the text. Then tell it again slowlier and ask them to repeat while gesturing the meaning.

Hope this could help.

And once again : take care of you !

Maryse.

21 Jan 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Sara,

Take good care of yourself!

"GET WELL SOON!"

Les

21 Jan 2012     

sarrah mohammed
Tunisia

I just want to say : take care of yourself

21 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Sara Mariam

So sorry, hope you are feeling better, now. Take care.
I can �t help you with the rhymes, as I don �t use them with my kids. I �m sure someone will show up with pretty good ideas.

Wishing you all the best, dear friend.

Linda

21 Jan 2012     

Errie
Japan

Hello,

I always use Nursery Rhymes because the kids love to sing. They �re now learning Baa baa black sheep. I just show pictures of all the vocabulary ( a black sheep, a bag, a boy etc) and make sure that they understand them. Then I read the story twice and after that I let them repeat after me while I �m showing the pics. It �s amazing to see how fast they learn the words and most important...understand....what they �re singing.

I hope this will help you a bit and take care of yourself.

errie

22 Jan 2012     

juliag
Japan

Hi there,

First I just want to send you a big hug and say I hope you �re feeling much better and have a job again soon.

I don �t actually use nursery rhymes in the classroom but something like this looks really good to use with the students and help them understand them at the same time as having fun.

This tells the story more and also has some great ideas.

I think they have them for other nursery rhymes, too. I just put Humpty Dumpty in a google image search and opened the pages that looked interesting, so I  think it would be easy to do for any nursery rhyme.

You could also get the students to act out the story (either themselves or with finger puppets etc.) as they sing the rhyme.

Hope some of these ideas help.
Hugs
Julia

22 Jan 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

Thanks a lot for your kind words and wishes and help of course :)
I hope I �ll be back soon with plenty of new worksheets :)

Hugs
xxx

23 Jan 2012