Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > uncountables    

uncountables

Vale A.
Romania

uncountables

Hello dear colleagues!

I �d like to ask your opinion in a matter that really puzzles me, I found the following definition:
Uncountable nouns refer to things that we see as a unit, not made up of separate things or parts.
And, for instance, sand - which is uncountable - is made of small loose grains of worn or disintegrated rock (that is separate things or parts, right???). That means this definition doesn �t go for this word (sand)!

Lots of thanks for your help!

23 Jan 2012      

yanogator
United States

It �s your definition of uncountable that isn �t exactly right. Uncountable nouns refer to things that we consider as a unit or a mass. Sand is made of individual grains. Milk is made of drops. Bread comes in loaves and slices.

Sand is uncountable. Grains of sand are countable.
Milk is uncountable. Drops of milk are countable.
Bread is uncountable. Slices of bread are countable.

I hope this helps you.

Bruce

23 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

The grains are countable, the sand is not. You don �t say the seaside was very nice because it had many beautiful sands.
The same way you can count money, but not the word, itself. You don �t say something costs five moneys. You count currency, dollars, euros, pounds etc, but don �t use the word money in a plural form.

However, I think in some cases you can use sands in a plural. For example, Portuguese seasides have pearled, soft sands.   I think ( ??? )

Hope this can help

Linda

23 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Linda, you could say "sands" there, but "sand" would be more common.

Bruce

23 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Linda, you could say "sands" there, but "sand" would be more common.

Bruce

23 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate every bit of help, any tip.  Thumbs Up

Linda

23 Jan 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Well, we usually say that uncountable nouns are liquid:
(water, juice, milk, cream, tea, wine, oil, vinegar, soup, shampoo, petrol, blood...) or
loose / powderish substances (we can sprinkle them):
(flour, sugar, salt, pepper, rice, sand, snow, cake...)
or creamy substances:
(whipped cream, butter, porridge, yoghurt, suntan cream, creme mouse, shoe polish, toothpaste, glue...)
or solid material (the statue is made of ... rock/ice/wood):
rock, ice, wood, copper, iron, paper, plastic, glass, soap, ...

All uncountable nouns of such origin can be tranformed into countable - just add the container, quantity (kg, litre...) - a cup of, a heap of, a glass of..., a pot of..., a piece of...

There are also many  abstract nouns which are uncountable - knowledge, success, friendship, information, fun, experience, happines, addiction, safety, violence, bribery, abuse, investigation, employment, affection... (I call them "untouchable".)

24 Jan 2012     

Vale A.
Romania

Dear Bruce, Linda, moravc - my deepest thanks to all of you!!!

24 Jan 2012