Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Thanks and Asking for Help    

Thanks and Asking for Help

Colie
United States

Thanks and Asking for Help

Dominitza:

I just want to say it really feels good to have someone leave a comment on your worksheets. �Thanks so much for leaving one on mine. �I am so new to this world of ESL and I am still learning. �However, I really appreciate the kind words that people leave. �I also feel like I learn from all of the experienced people here on this forum. �This website has helped me tremendously in so many ways. �I will do �my best to leave more comments for people as well....I have done so with some and not with everyone :-)....my apologies! �What great work everyone does here.... from lesson plans, to worksheets, to exchanging ideas...etc. �I have a question for some..if anyone has the time to answer...what if you are in a situation where you are asked a question about grammar (specifically) and you don�t know the answer at that moment ( I am still in the middle of my studies) and I don�t always have that answer for the student right away. �What is the best way to answer that question on the spot...whether in the classroom or teaching privately? �I appreciate any suggestions or advice. �

Kindest regards,

Colie

26 Sep 2008      

domnitza
Romania

Dear Colie,

it isn�t very hard for me to leave a comment (a thank you note) for somebody�s work, since he/she deserves it. We  all have learnt and will continue to learn so many things from this GREAT experience called eslprintables.

As to your question, it�s very simple, in fact. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you don�t know the answer "on the spot". Tell him that you don�t know (admitting this will bring you closer to them, and they will understand that their teacher can also be a student who works hard to be informed and to teach them). When this used to happen to me (children think of so many things that we can�t anticipate all of them -- especially strange/funny words that they want to translate) I used to tell them that I was not a walking dictionary and didn�t know everything, but I promised I would bring them the correct answer the next day. AND I ALWAYS DID SO. It is important not to let your students down and to always respect your promises (even the negative ones).Smile

See you!Wink

Domnitza

26 Sep 2008     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi, welcome to the site.
If you don�t know something, just admit it. If it is possible, search together with the students who asked you. You have probably a dictionary in your classroom, or even internet. If you search together it would be fun. If you can�t do it, just bring the answer the next class.

26 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Hansen,

I am often asked questions about the names of grammatical rules (my personal nightmare!) and have no idea what the student is talking about.  I am very upfront (honest) about my lack of knowledge in this area as I am employed for my knowledge as a 1st language speaker, and my knowledge on how to teach effectively.  This is how I deal with difficult questions - I hope it is of help to you:

First I make a decision - is this a useful piece of teaching - if no I write the question down and tell the student I will find out for them.  If I think it is a good question for everyone (A TEACHABLE MOMENT) I do the following -
- Ask the class what they think and brainstorm ideas on the board (if the answer is known then we stop here)
- have the students discuss the question in small groups - and give them dictionaries or grammar guides to help them.
- If no one can find the answer I either write it on the board with a �REWARD NOTICE� or set it as homework.

Cheers Vicki

26 Sep 2008     

cristina.063
Mexico

For me, since the very first time I didn�t know an answer I always told them I didn�t know, but it was my job to find out.  That makes the students see you as a normal human being.  You do not have to know it all.  Specially if you admit you don�t know, you are role modeling for the students to feel comfortable even not knowing, but of course finding out the answer later.  This is what it takes to be part of being a mature person.   Remember teaching is an integral process.  They learn a language, but they learn not to be consumated by stress.  To be relaxed and responsible at the same time.

27 Sep 2008