Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Flags    

Flags

frenchfrog
France

Flags

I always teach the history of the Union Jack and the Star-Spangled Banner to my students (and I think most of you do it too!). But I have never learnt and/or never had time to know about the flags of other countries. Why is the German flag black, red, and yellow? Why is the Italian flag green, white, red? etc (and we are supposed to be Europeans!!!!)
Last year, I even learnt that, for a short period of time, the French flag was actually red, white, blue!!!!

Here is one common explanation for the French flag:
Blue and red were the colours of Paris, white was the colour of the monarchy. The flag was officially adopted in 1794.

What about your flag? What do the colours and/or symbols represent? How old is it?

(I know I could find all the information on the net but I don �t want to read long articles! Embarrassed)

And maybe our native speakers here on the site have unusual anecdotes about their flags. I know for instance that the Union Jack is not symmetrical and that it is a crime in the UK and in the Commonwealth if you fly it upside down!!

27 Jan 2012      

Mariethe House
France

Hi Laurence! That �s a good idea!
I am not going to give an explanation about our French flag but I have chosen a description of a more exotic place: Here it is for you and everyone else who might be interestedWink

and its coat of arms
The yellow color is double the width of each of the other two colors. St. Vincent & The Grenadines is one of those rare countries which did not adapt the British ensign system.

The three diamonds on the flag of St. Vincent & The Grenadines are placed in a "v" shape for St. Vincent and resemble the fact that St. Vincent & The Grenadines group of islands are the gems of Antilles. Blue represents sky, golden is for the warmth, bright spirit of the inhabitants and the sands of the area.

The green color in the St. Vincent & The Grenadines flag symbolizes the lush vegetation of the area.

Official Name: St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Capital: Kingstown

Location: An island in the Lesser Antilles national territory includes the Greadine group lying south of St. Vincent.

Area: 389 Sq. km.

Official Languages: English

National Flag: Three vertical stripes of blue yellow green with the yellow of double width and charged with three green diamonds.

27 Jan 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

The Italian flag was born in 1794, when two students from Bologna changed the blue stripe of the French flag with a green one; they adopted this new flag to revolt against the absolute power of those who ruled Bologna.

In 1796 it was officially adopted as the Italian flag.

The flag is the symbol of Justice, Equality and Fraternity (= Democracy)

The three stripes are of the same size.

27 Jan 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Laurence

Nice to see you around.  Here �s my contribution.

Kisses

Linda

The five blue shields represent the five Moorish kings defeated by  D. Afonso Henriques in the Battle of Ourique.

The five white points in the shields represent the five wounds of Christ. The legend says  that during the Battle of Ourique, Jesus Christ crucified appeared to the king D. Afonso Henriques, and said: "With this sign you will win." If you count all the wounds , horizontal and vertically, you will count twice the shield in the middle  - you get the number 30, representing the 30 silver pieces Judas received for betraying Christ.

The seven castles symbolize the fortified cities that Don Afonso Henriques conquered from the Moors.
     The yellow sphere represents the world that Portuguese navigators discovered in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and the people with whom they exchanged ideas and commerce.

The green symbolizes hope.

Red symbolizes the courage and blood of the Portuguese killed in combat.

27 Jan 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

The kids learn at school about our flag that white symbolises purity and cleanness,
red symbolises the blood our soldiers had to pay for the liberation of our country (the red blood soaked into the Czech soil, therefore the red field is in the lower part of the flag)
and the blue symbolises the clear blue sky.

Actually, the history of our flag is more simple. We used to have red and white flag (14th-19th century).
Our heraldic animal was a silver lion with two tails on a red field.
The white was taken from the whitish-silverish lion.
The red was taken from the red "background" behind the Czech lion in the heraldic symbols.

But Poland had the same colours, so blue was added in 1920.
The tricolore was considered Slavic (because Russians had those colours).
Our allies were France, Britain and USA and they had the tricolore too, so it was also a symbol of belonging and friendship with those countries.

After Czechoslovakia was formed in 1918 (after the fall of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire) the three-coloured flag was used (since 1920 oficially).
The blue triangle part symbolised the Slovaks (beautiful blue mountains of Slovakia).

When the Slovaks claimed their independence in 1992, the Czech Republic was formed.
Since 1993, the flag therefore symbolises the three main regions and people living there - the Bohemians (red), the Moravians (blue) and the Silesians (white).
Our country is very small so the languages of those three regions are very close and the difference is very small - pronunciation of word endings, intonation, regional songs, regional traditions, festivities...

27 Jan 2012     

gloriawpai
Brazil

green: symbolizes the Brazilian rain forests
yellow: : represents the mineral resources
blue: the sky
white: peace
white stars: represents each Brazilian state and the Federal District
The sentence �Ordem e Progresso� means: order and progress.
It was adopted on November 19, 1889 and it�s the flag day.

27 Jan 2012     

renko6
Poland

Hi !
The topic is really interesting, thanks frenchfrog !!! I love to read about the history of all your flags.

In Poland we �ve got two kinds of our flag:

1) the national flag of the Republic of Poland
2) - the national flag with coat of arms of the Republic of Poland

1.           2. 

White and red were officially adopted as national colours in 1831

The colors of the Polish flag are based on the colors of the national coat of arms which is a white eagle on a red shield and dates back to 13th century.

- red - symbolizes the blood shed in the country �s fight for independence
- white  - symbolizes peace

The national flag was officially adopted in 1919, one year after Poland regained her independence.

The white eagle (Polish Emblem) was officially recognized in 1918 and in the years of communism, the eagle was deprived of it �s crown. In 1990, the crown was restored.

The flag with the coat of arms (the white eagle) is used only in diplomatic institutions, at airports,harbours and as maritime flag.

Hope, it was intersting .

Renia Wink

27 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The Ukrainian flag consists of two horizontal stripes of equal width. The top is blue, the bottom - yellow. Blue and yellow, the colors of the sky, mountains, streams, and golden fields symbolized Kyivan Rus long ago. Ukrainian state flag was adopted on January 28, 1992

Sophia

27 Jan 2012     

maggiejeria
Chile

Chilean Flag What do the colors?

It�s cute and flies in the wind, but do you ever wonder why you have those colors?

BLUE: the pure Chilean sky and Pacific Ocean
WHITE: the snowy peaks of the Andes
RED: Blood and value Chilean Independence
What STAR? It symbolizes the three branches of the Chilean government (Executive, Legislative and Judicial) that ensure the integrity of the country.
Banderas chilenas flameando.

28 Jan 2012     

Rainbow_02
Argentina

ARGENTINIAN FLAG

• The national flag of Argentina consists of three equal horizontal bands of light blue (top), white (centre) and light blue (bottom). The emblem featured on the white band is a yellow sun with a human face known as the Sun of May.

The flag was created by Manuel Belgrano, and was first raised in the city of Rosario on February 27, 1812, during the Argentine War of Independence, but it was finally designated as the national flag in 1816, and in 1818, the yellow Sun of May was added to the center.

The full flag featuring the sun is called the Official Ceremonial Flag, and the flag without the sun is considered the Ornamental Flag. 

While both versions are equally considered the national flag, the ornamental version must always be hoisted below the Official Ceremony Flag. 

• According to Ancient and Heraldic traditions much symbolism is associated with colors. The colors on the Argentina flag represent the following:

• White - peace and honesty.

• Blue - represents many elements including vigilance, truth and loyalty, perseverance & justice. On the Argentinian flag the sky blue color compliments the sun emblem.

28 Jan 2012     

frenchfrog
France

It was nice reading all your explanations! Wink

28 Jan 2012