Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Questions regarding the use of the English language    

Questions regarding the use of the English language

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Questions regarding the use of the English language

My students have been producing videos on the rights of the child and I�m correcting them so I have a few questions regarding the use of the English language. Therefore, I need your help. Let�s imagine that you have a neighbour that is beating up a child and you want to call the child protection service so that they can solve the situation. Are these sentences correct?

-    ï¿½I�d like to make a denounce/a report.�

-         �Can you come over now?�

-         �Your neighbours have complained about the noise and they said domestic violence is happening here.�

Now a very basic question: when someone is standing on our way, can we say �Let me pass!�

I�m sorry for bothering you all with these questions of mine that might sound rather basic to you, but I really need your help.

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

29 Jan 2012      

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi Smile

The sentences seem correct to me, but in the first one I �d say:

"I �d like to report a situation."

Hugs
Manuela

29 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �ve never seen "denounce" used as a noun. I agree with Manuela on "I �d like to report a situation".

If someone is in your way, "Let me pass!" is very abrupt and would be interpreted as rude. The best thing to say is "Excuse me, please."

Bruce

29 Jan 2012     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Hi Bruce!
What if we are preventing a police officer from doing his job? Would it be better to say "Let me pass!" or "Excuse me, please."?
Thanks in advance!
Cristina

29 Jan 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Let�s imagine that you have a neighbour that is beating up a child and you want to call the child protection service so that they can solve the situation. Are these sentences correct?

- �I�d like to make a denounce/a report.�

- �Can you come over now?�

- �Your neighbours have complained about the noise and they said domestic violence is happening here.� Who is speaking in this sentence?

-I �d like to report a case of child abuse.
-Can you come over now? / Can you come straight away? / Can you come immediately?
Person reporting: -My other neighbours have complained about the noise and said it sounds like domestic violence.

If you are trying to access somewhere and being prevented by police, you need to be polite, and perhaps give a reason for your need to pass. (The police are just doing their job.)

Please, I need to get past. It �s very urgent.

30 Jan 2012