Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation    

Pronunciation

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruce, A-patch-ee or A-patch-ay (ee as in fleece or ay as in face)? Kara-okee or kara-okay? And here �s the clincher: Coy-otee or Coy-otay

Just realised: you guys pronounce Iraq as �Eye - rack. It suddenly doesn �t matter.

In any case, /i:/ is part of the �fleece� lexical set, however you want to pronounce �apache �.

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Alex,

Around here, we say  a-patch-ee, kair-ee-o-kee and Cai-o-tee. Most people say  ear-ak, but then some of us say  Eye-talian.  Oh, and the Japanese hara kiri is pronounced just like the old sports announcer  Harry Carey. At least we don �t eat haggis!

Bruce

31 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, ain�t that peculi-aaar? Considerin� that most o� you good ol� boys done come from Scotland in the firs� place! Bruce!

31 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Now, Alex, there �s no proof that Bruce was originally a Scottish name, although Robert the Bruce certainly anchored it there later. One theory is that it was originally French, from the town of Bruys. Anyway, here in the US, we take our names from all cultures, and I have no Scottish roots - pure Serbian on one side and German on the other. So there!

Bruce

31 Jan 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Absolutely correct, Bruce. It �s been a Scottish name only since the 13th century, dammit!

By the way, did you know that a lot of German nonconformist protestants in early colonial America were lumped in with the Scots-Irish settlers simply because - I know you �ll find this hard to believe in 21st century USA - of their religion and the way they talked.

1 Feb 2012     

wysiwyg
France

As Bruce said , Alex, in American English the final -e of coyote , Apache, etc...is a  patch-ee like in fleece.That �s why I �m trying to make this "list": it is very surprising for French people to hear that, because in our language every final e is silent. It �s slightly different from the sound in be or me, I guess it �s shorter (even though there �s no way to make a rule here, depending on the speakers and the sentences).
How do you say the name of the excellent writer Truman Capote ? Ca-pou-tay?
What about Bette Davis?

I (try to) speak British English, but I �m preparing a listening comprehension activity for my students, and both speakers being American teenagers, I �ll have to comment some words from a phonetic point of view.

Bruce, I �ve never heard of any violent French dance named Apache, I �ll have to check this.... :-)

Thank you anyway for helping me, any other suggestions welcome!

Alex, I �m going to Scotland at the end of the month, I �ll ask some Scotsman to say coyote and Apache for me (while eating haggis - which I love!)

1 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting, wysiwig. British English does pronounce these words differently:

Truman Capote �s surname is pronounced with the American /i:/ sound, although it �s actually a Spanish name (so the final vowel sound should be more like /e/).

You might be interested to know that Scottish accents are unique among varieties of English insofar as "we can predict where vowels are phonetically long, and where they are phonetically short" (A. McMahon, An Introduction to English Phonology).

1 Feb 2012     

wysiwyg
France

Yes, it �s very interesting indeed...and quite difficut for non native speakers like me!

I don �t know much about Scottish accents, apart from their extraordinary Rrrrrrr ! What I know is that understanding my favourite singer �s interviews is sometimes impossible (as it is to English interviewers as well): Paolo Nutini has such a strong Scottish accent that even English journalists need subtitles...Big smile

1 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2