Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Really need a helping hand!    

Really need a helping hand!

linhdo
Vietnam

Really need a helping hand!

I intend to do a PhD specializing in English language teaching. Would you be so kind as to suggest some topics for a PhD dissertations? Thank you very much in advance.

3 Feb 2012      

amethystflorida
Indonesia

how about teaching retarded children?
i read your post and this idea comes to my mind instantly. i think this topic needs some research, but i don �t know whether it �s suitable for PhD dissertation or not. just ignore me, if you think it isn �t suitable.
i  tried to teach a retarded child before. specifically, i teach him to read and maths. he �s 9 years old and he �s supposed to be in 3rd grade elementary, but he �s still in 1st grade elementary.

3 Feb 2012     

linhdo
Vietnam

Thanks for your idea. I �m just thinking abt project-based, but not come to any specific topic yet.

3 Feb 2012     

cheezels
New Zealand

Um... Amethystflorida... I don �t know whether your post is making fun of the person who asked the question or if you are serious.

If you are serious, then the use of "retarded" is often thought of as an offensive term to describe someone with special needs.
Mentally handicapped, Mentally challenged, Learning impaired are all good substitutes.

If I was talking to a parent of a child who had special needs and called them retarded, you can bet that they would be insulted, angry and most likely report me to my boss.

3 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

You�re right Cheezels - �retarded� is now no longer used in many countries and has  been considered politically incorrect in Australia for some time now.  Our current politically correct word is �intellectually impaired� and �intellectual disability�. Sometime  it is challenging to keep up with the terminology changes.

I don�t know which terminology other countries use instead of �retarded�.

More here

Cheers

Jayho

4 Feb 2012